Chapter Six - End of The World As We Know It

The next morning I was woken up by lots of chatter. I looked around the room through squinted eyes to see what was going on and remembered I was in Amy's apartment which was probably full of several other girls from the night before. I sighed and closed my eyes again, pulling the blanket over my head.
"Mia! Mia! You have to wake up!" I heard suddenly and could feel someone shaking me. I groaned and threw the covers off, faced with Amy sat on the floor next to me with a worried look on her face.
"What's happened?" I asked. Preparing myself for some awful news.
Amy flicked the tv on and put on the local news channel. There in front of me was a nightmare come true...
"Last night a Portland family was brutally murdered in their home. Currently the only family member who's whereabouts is unknown is 22 year old Malachai Parker. His twin sister, Josette Parker is currently being operated on for severe stab wounds to the abdomen. The two youngest siblings, twins, are believed to be unharmed, but 4 other children have been sadly confirmed as deceased...."
I turned to Amy. Shock on my face. I felt ill.

"They think he did it Mia. They think Kai butchered all those poor kids!" She sobbed. "Why would he do that Mia?"
I just sat there in shock, shaking my head. He couldn't have done this. Not the Kai Parker I knew. But I hadn't seen him for years. What if he wasn't the same Kai Parker anymore.
I quickly jumped up from the sofa and grabbed my bag and car keys. "Where are you going?" Amy asked me, concern in her voice. "Please don't tell me your going to look for that psycho Mia!" She shouted.
"I have to go Amy. I'll call you okay."
Before she could say anything else I was out the door and running down to my car.
As soon as I got into the car I burst into tears. How could he do this? Those poor innocent kids. His brothers and sisters!
I started the engine and sped out of the car park, knowing exactly where I was heading.

A little while later I arrived at the huge house on the outskirts of Portland. There were police everywhere. I walked up to the porch but a police officer stopped me.
"Sorry Miss. This is a crime scene. You can't come in." He put his hand out to signal for me to stop. Over his shoulder I spotted a tall man, looking towards me. I'd never met Kai's father before, but this man looked just like him and I knew immediately who it was.
"Mr Parker! Mr Parker! I'm Kai's friend, Mia!" I shouted over to him. He slowly walked in my direction and past the officer stood between us.
"Mia. Yes. I've heard lots about you." He said softly. His eyes were red and watery.
"Mr Parker..."
"Joshua. Please." He corrected.
I nodded in acknowledgment. "I'm so sorry to hear what happened."
He nodded slowly.
"If you're here to look for Malachai, he isn't here." He mumbled quietly.
"Do you really think he did this?" I asked, tears filling my eyes again. Joshua put a hand on my back and guided me away from where we were standing.
"I can take you to him. If that's what you want?" He asked me. I was confused. If he knew where Kai was, why hadn't he told the police?
"I... yes. Please. I need to speak to him."

We walked a little way into the wooded area behind the house, towards an old cabin. This must be the cabin Kai would hide out in when he had a fall out with his Dad, I thought. It was super creepy looking and I felt uncomfortable being here alone with Joshua, but if it meant I could see Kai and find out what happened, I was okay with that.
"Is he in there?" I asked cautiously, indicating towards the cabin.
"Yes. Come on." He said, leading the way.
As we walked inside I looked around. There were blankets and pillows. Some old magazines, bags of pork rinds and some empty cans. I could tell Kai had definitely been here, but the place was empty. He wasn't here now.
"I don't think...."
Joshua cut me off. "He'll be back any minute. Wait here. I'll see if I can find him." He said calmly. I nodded an okay and he stepped back outside leaving me in the creepy cabin alone.
I paced back and forth for a few minutes. Trying to decided whether to stay or just make a run for it. This whole situation was creeping me out.
I decided to just leave and slowly went to open the door, but as I pushed it open, it stuck. It was locked. But I hadn't hear Joshua lock it when he left? Magic. He had used magic to lock me in here!

I started banging on the door, shouting loudly. I peeked out through the window and could see Joshua stood there with his eyes closed, saying something but I couldn't hear what. I looked around and could make out a few other people stood there too. What were they doing? Suddenly I started feeling light headed. I sat down on the floor, closing my eyes slowly. Then all of a sudden, everything went dark.....

———————————————————————

Joshuas POV

I knew who she was the second I saw her. Malachai had kept a photo of the two of them in his room from before she had left Portland. From what I gathered, the two were close. Best friends even. Malachai would often speak to Josette about her. Mia, her name was. And here she was now, looking for him. Looking for the abomination that had destroyed half of my family.
What was I supposed to do? If she found out what we had done to him, she definitely wouldn't walk away and pretend it never happened. The only option would be to make sure she couldn't tell anyone. Make sure there was no way Malachai could ever escape.

I managed to magically lock her in the cabin. Silly girl. She was far too trusting.
This gave me a few minutes to gather a handful of the coven members who were still nearby after last nights prison world spell. This should be enough magic to stop her. Not enough for a prison world, but if we could make her sleep for a while, then it could work.
The coven and I decided to performing a sleeping curse. She would stay in her current state, not ageing a day, for as long as she slept. The only way the curse could be broken was if Kai was released from the Prison World, and that would NEVER happen. It was the right thing to do. For my family. For my coven. For the rest of Portland. He was dangerous and if she managed to find a way to release him, he would come for us first.

I could see her looking out through the window now. She looked terrified. We chanted the spell together and with a flash of light it was done. I unlocked the cabin to check it had worked. It had. She was fast asleep, like sleeping beauty. Now we just needed to get her away from Portland. I remembered Malachai mentioning she had moved away to a place called Mystic Falls. That was where we had to send her. Far away from Portland. Far away from us. Far away from him...