Chapter Three - Magic

As soon as he was in the room he threw his backpack down and collapsed on the sofa taking a big sigh. I stood looking at him for a few seconds.
"What?" He asked me. I realised I was staring.
"Make yourself at home!" I laughed as he put his feet up on the coffee table in front of him and grinned.
"Will do..." he smirked.
"Do you want a drink? I can grab a can of coke from the fridge if you like?" I asked him, cautiously waiting for an answer. The last time I asked him if he wanted food or drink he'd snapped at me.
"Yea sure. Thanks"
Wow. A thank you from Kai Parker? Who was this person?!

I grabbed him a can of coke from the kitchen and went back into the room, tossing it over to him. "Heads up!" I laughed and he quickly responded by catching it with one his hand.
"That's gonna fizz up good now!" He laughed, placing it down on the table to settle.
He looked so relaxed sat there. Not the same boy I'd seen in school for the past month.
He grabbed the tv remote off the coffee table and started flicking through the few channels that were available.
I looked at him, raising my eyebrow quizzically.
"I thought you came over to start on our project?" I asked Kai, sitting on the sofa beside him.
"Yea. I just need a bit of a chill out first. Thought we could watch a movie? If that's okay?" He asked, still flicking through not really even stopping for more than a second to see what was on.
"Sure. I'm down for that." I smiled. He gave a cheeky smile back.

A few minutes later and he was still trying to find something to watch.
"So.... how come you weren't in school today?" I asked him.
He turned to face me, grinning. "Why? Did you miss me?" He have a cheeky wink and I laughed.
"No!" I laughed again, probably a little nervously this time. I guess I had kind of missed seeing him.
"Had some stuff at home to deal with." He shrugged, grabbing his coke and taking a gulp.
"Oh? What kind of..."
"You're sure are nosey aren't you?!" He snapped.
I didn't know what to say. This guy seemed to go from 0 to 100 SUPER fast!

We sat in silence for a bit. He'd finally found a movie to watch. An American Werewolf in London. It wasn't really my thing but he seems to be enjoying it.
"Sorry I snapped." He suddenly blurted out, still looking at the tv.
"Oh.... sure. It's fine. I know I can be a bit much sometimes."
He turned to look at me. His eyes were softer than they had seemed to earlier. Almost sad.
"My Dads a bit of an arse. We had a fall out last night and I hid out in a cabin we have in the woods near our house."
"Oh? What happened?" I asked. Then realised I shouldn't have. "Sorry... I didn't...."
"It's fine. He thinks I'm a freak. An abomination. I'm not normal." He muttered. Looking away from me. I shifted slightly closer but not too close so as to make him feel uncomfortable.
"You're none of those things Kai." I said softly, reaching to touch his knee.
Suddenly he jerked away from me and stood up.
"You don't know me. You have no idea what I'm like. Just stay away from me." He shouted and stormed out of the house. I didn't even follow him. I just let him go. I was tired of chasing after Kai Parker.

———————————————————————-

That weekend, I decided to catch up on some homework at the coffee shop. Mom was away again, and I didn't fancy being at home on my own. At least here I was surrounded by people, even if I didn't know them.
I sat sipping my coffee, writing up some notes from my textbook. As I was writing there was a shadow cast over my books and I looked up to see mr tall dark and handsome yet again.
"Kai?" I questioned. Wondering why he was here. The last I'd heard from him he stormed out of my house and he'd been avoiding me since.
"Hey. Can I sit?" He asked. He sounded nervous for a change.
"Yeah sure. I'm just doing some homework. Everything okay?"
I looked at him, studying his features. He did not look okay. His eyes looked tired and he had dark circles and his bottom lip looked like it had been split open and was starting to heal. He looked out of the window, playing with the sugar shaker on the table.
"Yea I'm fine. I... do you want to come somewhere with me? I want to show you something." He asked softly. His voice had never sounded so quiet before. It was slightly un nerving!
"Where?" I asked anxiously.
"Just down by the river. I promise I'm not a psycho." He have a cheeky smirk but there was still a sadness in his eyes. How could I say no? Yes, I was nervous about what he wanted to show me, but for some reason I felt safe around him.
"Okay." I said, taking the last sip of my coffee and throwing my books in my bag. I stood up and signalled for him to lead and followed him out of the coffee shop.

A short walk later we were sat by the river. It was so peaceful and quiet. No one else was around. All we could hear were some birds and the slow moving water.
Kai turned to face me and looked at me seriously.
"I want to show you something but you have to promise you won't freak out. Okay?" He asked me. I studied him for a few seconds. Trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about.
"Uh... okay... but how can I promise I won't freak out if I have no idea what it is...?" I asked, nervously twirling my hair around my fingers.
"Just trust me." He said. I did trust him. I had no idea why, but I did.
"Okay." I said with a sweet smile.

He pulled a pillar candle from his bag and set it between us. I looked at him, confused and he closed his eyes. He looked so innocent sat there like that. He began speaking but I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying.
"Phasmatos incendia...."
He repeated the words several times. After the 5th time, the candle lit by itself! I jumped back in shock.
"Whoa! How?!" I squeaked nervously.
"You promised you wouldn't freak." He said seriously, trying to make out the expression on my face.
"I'm not. I'm... that's amazing Kai!" I smiled a big beaming smile and he smiled back.

That day was the beginning of a friendship I would never forget. No matter what would happen.