Chapter 9: The Folk Festival

Xavier was looking at his mother, waiting for her to tell her the news that he wanted to hear. He did not know much about his father after he married his mother. They said that it was an arranged match, and they have not complied with it.

"Must have taken a lot of strength for her to endure her husband," Xavier thought before his mother showed him a piece of paper. It was really rather old-looking, and he was taking it to read the content in it. It was written in English.

"An agreement?" Xavier asked her before his mother nodded. Then he read. And blinked. Then read it again. "Is this even legit, Mama?" he asked her before she sighed. His mother has been weary, and he knew that he could not force her to tell him everything.

But this agreement... it altered everything he had stood for over the years.

After his father's betrayal.

His sister's secret

His own selfishness

He gulped before his mother took his hand. Xavier turned to look at her before she smiled at him.

"We have known that you were attached to her since we visited Italy when you were just a child. This family has known your father for quite some time, and they trusted her with you when you were older. "I see that you have no complaints about it," his mother said rather perceptively before Xavier rubbed his nape.

"Well, the thing is—"

"No need to explain, my love. You will simply have to make a choice. "Her or the girl you'll be seeing tonight," she said before he turned to face his mother. She rolled her eyes.

"I may be old, but I am not deaf." I can sense that your wolf was howling for her until he could get to meet her tonight. "He cannot wait to get out of here," his mother said before she arched her eyebrow.

Xavier blushed.

"Well, excuse me," he mumbled before gripping the letter of agreement between two parties, the one that his father set up for him when he was a child with the young girl he never met.

This might be his chance to tell Stella how he really feels about her.

"Good luck, my love." "I know you will make the right choice," his mother said before Xavier walked out of the living room as fast as his legs could carry him.

Tonight, everything will be fine, he chanted as he carried another bag of his clothes to get ready for his date with Stella Canali.

*****

Stella still didn't know what to make of this date. Would she dress casually like she did for a night out in town, or would she make an effort to ensure that Xavier does not turn away from her?

She sighed as she examined the clothes she had brought with her on vacation. She clicked her tongue before she was shoving them away. She should have gone shopping today. But, of course, she asked Xavier to accompany her to the folk festival on the spur of the moment.

She lay on the bed and turned to look at the clock on the night table. It was only hours away from the festival's start. And she still hadn't showered or dressed. Then a knock came on her door.

"Coming," she said before she went to open the door. She looked at the receptionist, who was holding a box in front of him. Stella smiled before she looked at the parcel in his hands.

"Miss Canali, yes?" he asked before she nodded. Then, he asked her to sign for her delivery, and she took the box to put it on the bed. She was curious to know what was inside and who sent it to her.