Chapter 7: The Chase

Xavier followed the two of them from the shadows as he did not want Sam to alarm Stella that he was nearby. But when Sebastian's sister told her about their legend of how Paphos came to be what it was, he could not help but growl at Sam.

In their mind link, of course. It would be dreadful if Stella can hear him.

'What the fuck do you think you're doing? Explaining all about our ancestry to a foreigner?' Xavier said as Sam just went away from Stella, leaving her alone in the town square. He will be going back to her as soon as he dealt with this insufferable woman first.

'It just seems right at the moment. And do not give me that crap either. I don't think you want to protect the legend from her just because you valued our secrecy. No, you're afraid that she would not like who—or what—you are,' Sam hit the right nerve before Xavier growled at her again.

'Don't use that tone with me. I am your Beta,' he said before Sam was rolling her eyes. He can feel it.

'And I am your Ultima. I mean, who is the superior one here? Let's not forget that I am the last of two Ultimas in the pack. I think you should not use that tone with me if I am doing it correctly,' Sam said before Xavier huffed at her. Sam smirked in the mind link.

He knew who the winner between them was.

'Anyway, it was not your place to tell my mate who we are. I am the one that should break the news to her, not you as her friend,' Xavier said before Sam was smirking even more.

'I see,' she said before he frowned.

'What do you see?' he asked before she just shrugged in their mind link.

'Well, I think I am off now. I don't think I should keep you waiting from comforting your future mate then, Beta,' Sam said sarcastically before Xavier was cutting the mind link as he was moving toward the woman that was walking down the dark alley in the evening. The sun has set and Xavier knew not to leave her alone when everyone was not around.

It was always dangerous in Paphos for tourists, even for locals.

The Shadow Pack has a treaty with the humans to not let them roam around at night in the streets or they would be getting some serious problems. But not Stella. She did not know the ways of life here.

She was a tourist after all.

Xavier was wiping his mouth with his hand as he was following her at a close distance but he kept to the shadows. Stella looked in his direction once in a while for she knew she was not alone in the dark. Xavier has to smile at that notion.

Clever girl.

Stella hurried away to get to her hotel before the night was getting darker and darker. She knew the danger of a woman walking alone in the night would invite something—or someone—to do some serious damage to her. Xavier growled at the thought.

Not if they want to live for another day.

Over my dead body, he mused before his wolf was pacing back and forth inside him, burning his skin as it wanted to get closer to Stella and perhaps make her his forever.

'Mine,' it whispered before Xavier was reigning it down, not wanting to scare his mate away. Stella came to the front door of her hotel before she turned one last time in his direction which was covered by shadows before she disappeared into the hotel. Xavier straightened up when she was safe and sound now before he took off, running on all four paws to go home as well.

*****

This is life, Stella thought as she was submerging herself in the hot bath that she prepared after she got home. She sighed contently before she was washing her body of today's sweat as well as her hair. She can still feel the goosebumps from the conversation she heard with Sam about Paphos and she did not know what to say about it.