27

Jace desperately wanted to ask Ms. Rye to switch partners; however, he did not want to make Nick angry, that would be a shit show. He sighed as he grabbed his things from his locker, shoving them in his backpack. Jace was pulled away from his train of thought when he felt a pair of arms around his waist.

"Hey, love," Casey grinned, kissing his boyfriend's cheek.

Jace smiled back at Casey, zipping up his maroon backpack. "Heya," he replied.

"How was your day? Did anyone give you any trouble, cause I can-"

"It was good, and no, no one bothered me," Jace said halfheartedly. He wasn't sure if he should tell Casey about being partnered up with Nick; that might also be a shit show. He decided against it for the time being, taking a mental note to tell Casey later.

Casey pressed a chaste kiss to Jace's lips, "Good," he said, unwrapping his arms from his boyfriend's waist. He glanced down the hallway and snarled when he saw Nick and his crew; it reminded Casey about what he wanted to talk to Jace about.

"Hey, Jace?" Casey said, leaning against the locker that was beside Jace's.

Jace hummed in response, putting his bag on his back and shutting his locker. "Hm?"

The two of them started walking down the hall, hand in hand. Casey shot a glare at Nick as they passed each other. It wasn't long before the boyfriends were at the school doors. "I wanted to talk to you about something," Casey said, continuing the conversation.

"You can tell me anything," Jace said, feeling a stab of guilt for not telling Casey right away about being partnered with Nick.

"Well," Casey said, "I might not always be able to protect you from... them.."

Jace looked up at his boyfriend, furrowing his brows in confusion. "Nick and his crew?"

"The others," Casey stated. "I think it would be good if you learned a little bit of self defence, y'know, so that you can protect yourself until I get there,"

"I can't promise that I will always be there to stop them from hurting you, and it makes my heart break when I see you get hurt by those dickwads." Casey explained, looking down at Jace.

"Oh," Jace said. "I understand. I guess it would be better for me to be able to hold my own, at least until you get there, right?"

"Yeah," the punk boy responded. He pressed a kiss to his short boyfriend's forehead, smiling. "You're gonna be fine, Jace,"

"Okay." Jace said, guilt lingering through his veins.

*

It was 4:35 when Jace heard his phone go off. He had been home for about an hour, cleaning up around the house; he knew that his mum would be too tired after work to clean, so he did it for her.

Jace put the broom he was using to sweep his living room down and sauntered over to where he had placed his phone. A song from Dear Evan Hansen blared through his phone's speakers. Jace picked his phone up and unlocked it with Face ID, sighing to himself.

He opened up the messages app and typed in the number that was scribbled on the paper he was given earlier that day.

to: Nick

it's jace. just wanted to know when you want to work on the project?

Jace frowned as he waited for a response. He really didn't want to have to work with Nick, but what was he supposed to do? Jace wanted to get a good mark on this project, and if he had to work with nick to do that, he would. Jace was pulled out of his thoughts by this phone going off.

from: Nick

Are you you free right now?

Jace sighed as he typed out 'yes' in response to Nick's message and sent it. Jace put his phone in his sweater pocket and made his way to his room. He flicked the light on and made his way over to his closet, sifting through his clothes. If he was going over to Nick's house, he wasn't going to wear feminine clothes.

Jace picked out black jeans and a hoodie that he had taken from Casey's closet. He changed into the clothes he had picked out and glanced over at his phone as it went off. Nick had texted him his address. Jace pocketed his phone and made his way to the front door of his house. He slipped on some pink converse and scribbled a note down for his mum.

Mum,

I went over to a friends house to work on a school project, I should be back soon.

Love you,

Jace

A/N:

Hey guys. I just wanted to thank you all so much for the continued support on this book, even though I haven't updated in a while! I hope to update a bit more frequently, however it might take me a while due to school and my own personal issues. I can't thank you enough for supporting this book.

Until next time,

Caz<3