2

Jace woke up in the morning from his mum waking him up. He got dressed in a dark grey sweatshirt, a maroon skirt with a matching maroon flower crown, and his grey vans. He debates on putting some thigh-high socks on.

Casey would like them, he told himself. If anyone says anything, Casey will beat them up.

Jace smiled and put on his white thigh-high socks, finishing off his outfit. When he walked upstairs his mum handed him a cup of tea. It was just how he liked it; two milk, three sugar. Jace drank all of it and took his meds. Then it was time for him to go to school.

Jace had been prescribed antidepressants since he started high school two years ago. He didn't have any friends and got bullied everyday. He had to be homeschooled for a while, but started going back to school when he found out that Casey got expelled from his old school and was now going to Jace's.

Jace got in the passenger seat of his mum's car and his mum got in the drivers. They buckled up and started driving to school. Jace looked out the window and frowned.

He wondered what Casey's morning would've been like. It would probably be the same as what Casey always says.

"It was fucking horrible, like always."

Jace knew that Casey had a hard life ever since his mum died. Casey and his little brother Cameron were forced to live with their father, John, because Casey wasn't old enough to move out. He was only sixteen. Jace knew that Casey didn't try very hard in class. Casey just didn't have the attention span for it. It wasn't his fault. Jace just wished people could understand that. It would make Casey's life a lot easier, and Jace wanted that.

He wanted Casey to have the same life as him.

Why couldn't everyone have a nice life or a nice family? Was life really that unfair?

Jace sighed then huffed, catching his mum's  attention. "What's wrong, Sweetpea?" She asked.

"I'm just thinking," Jace answered halfheartedly.

"About?" His mum asked.

"Casey," Jace responded, sticking his bottom lip out and pouting. "I just don't understand why his life has to be harder than mine. He seems very troubled and I just want him to be happy because I really, really care about him."

His mum hummed. "Do you still like him?" She asked curiously. "Because you told me before that you have a crush on Casey."

Jace blushed. "Well.. I still like him, but he doesn't like me like that. He's straight. And even if he wasn't straight, he can get anyone he could ever want. Why would he want me?"

"Because you're an amazing boy, Jace," she replied. "And someone will be lucky to have someone like you. You're smart, and handsome, and you have an amazing personality."

"Thanks, mum," Jace said, smiling warmly.

"No problem." She said.

They got to the school and Jace got out. "Bye, I love you mum." He said, grabbing his light grey backpack.

"Bye, Jace!" She said.

Jace shut the car door and his mum drove off.