watch

"I just think it be better if you continue as Jounin leader, you shine too much as an Anbu," Minato chuckled as he looked through [y/n]'s paperwork.

"I shine?" she questioned blushing in embarrassment at his comment.

"Your shiny personality should be used to its fullest potential and the Anbu will dull you out!" Minato tried not to offend the heir to the Nara clan.

"Oh I see...when should I turn in my anbu equipment?" she questioned sadly, it pained her to know she won't work with her team anymore.

"Don't be so glum the next group of academy graduates isn't till next month! You have till then to complete your Anbu tasks," Minato returned a kind smile.

"I understand thank you, my lord," she bowed her head respectfully.

"Ahh call me what you did before no need for the lord part," Minato blushed bashfully.

"Yes, Minato Sensei!"

+++

"So that's it your leaving us?" Itachi frowned as the Nara explained her new situation.

"My knee has been killing me, I guess this might give it a break," she smiled sadly as her team walked out the Anbu headquarters.

"Minato Sensei knows what he's doing I'm sure it will benefit you nicely," Kakashi spoke but he didn't look at [y/n], after such an intimate moment he felt guilty for leaving so abruptly.

"I suppose you're right Captain Hatake," she no longer called him by his name anymore.

"Have a good afternoon you two," Kakashi said and vanished. He hated hearing her call him that it's like they didn't have a connection anymore. Though they weren't able to be in a romantic relationship, he still wanted a friendship with [y/n].

"Hey what if we get some dinner?" Itachi smiled, as he sensed the tension between his teammates.

"That sounds nice! Where should we eat?"

"How does barbecue sound?"

"That's perfect!" a smile grew on her face, and Itachi's heart melted the fact that she would get so excited over dinner made him want to take her out anytime that he could.

+++

Kakashi had finished buying a new book and was walking under the night sky. He was heading home but decided to grab a meal before doing so. Kakashi was going to get ramen but on Friday nights they seemed to be busier, so he chose the barbecue restaurant not too far away.

Once he made his way inside the aroma of all kinds of meats being cooked filled his nose. The sounds of people's conversations were abnormally louder than usual. Yet he waited patiently in line to place his order, but as he looked around his surroundings he saw two familiar figures.

It was Itachi with a smile Kakashi has never seen on his face before, and right across from him was
[y/n] who shared a smile even bigger than Itachi's. It was a picture-perfect moment, they were having a meaningful conversation and they were enjoying having each other's presence. Kakashi felt his stomach drop but not in jealousy, but in guilt. He made [y/n] wait for him to the point where she couldn't any longer. She was ready for Kakashi but of course, he wasn't and he didn't know when he would be.

So now he would have to watch.

Watch his subordinates fall in love.

Watch the only woman that made him smile, fall in love with someone who wasn't him.

He wouldn't accept that.

Kakashi couldn't accept that.