Chapter 4

I stood in the shadows as i watched everyone go into school. I knew i needed to go in but, i really didn't want to. I mean, no one really wants to go to school but, i had a reason that was much different than theirs and of worthy cause.

Then i had an idea. I would go in for attendance and slip out before first period. Then I could avoid Marcus without having to hide in the bathroom until the last second. A strategy that hardly ever worked anyways.

I waited until the front of the school was almost empty before stepping out of the trees and walking towards the doors. I saw some frequent bullies standing on the steps and put my head down so the wouldn't notice me. Then i went inside and to the attendance room. I sat down at my desk and sighed.

I hope this works.

The teacher came in and began calling out names. When my name came i answered as always and then shrunk away as the entire room turned their eyes on me. This happens every day so its not really a surprise. Everyone looks at me because they don't think i belong here and sometimes I think that too. After attendance had been called the teacher gave his boring speach of news then we were released to go to classes.

I had only done this once before and it had worked perfectly. I walked slowly as everyone rushed to the classrooms so they wouldn't be late. Then once the halls were almost empty i slipped into the bathroom.

I heard some talkng and peeked around the corner to see some guys washing their hands. I took a deep breath before stepping into view amd going into one of the stalls to wait.

After about two minutes i heard them leave the bathroom. I stepped out of the stall i was in and looked around to make sure I was alone. I was so i grabbed the stool for the short people and put it under the window. I stepped up and peeked out. There was no one outside so, i lifted the latch and opened it up. I threw my back-pack outside on he ground. Then i jumped up to the window myself, kicking the stool away in the process so as not to make it look suspicious. I hopped out the window and landed softly on the grass. Then i stood on my tiptoes to close the window.

I turned around as i picked up my back-pack and bolted for the street. I made my way to the trees so i wouldn't be seen leaving the school.

I went through the woods and to the abandoned orphanage. When I saw it come into view i sighed in relief. I opened the door and stepped in. I put my bag on the floor and went to the hammock to sit down.

I relaxed immediately when my back settled in to the softness. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. After laying there for about ten minutes i frowned and sat up, unable to sleep.

I can't go home. What should i do?

I looked around and nodded. It had been quite a while since i last cleaned this place. It had gotten really dirty and could use a good cleansing.

I stood up and grabbed the broom i had brought here off the wall.

I picked things up off the floor as i swept the area. Then once that was done i mopped and scrubbed the floors and windows. I cleaned the front desk and fixed the old computer sitting there. I had meant to do that for a while but, never had the time.

To clean the entire place took me about three hours. When i was finally done, i fell onto the hammock tiredly. I looked at my watch. It was only 11:30. I lay there for a while exhausted to the bone.

I woke up an hour later. As i sat up i heard a noise from the reception desk. I stared at it, afraid to see what it was. Then i heard a shuffling as if there was a person behind it. I stood up and made my way over slowly. I grabbed pocket knife i always carried for protection. I held it up and jumped around the corner. I relaxed immediately and laughed at what i saw.