Chapter 21

Bye...

I opened my eyes slowly and stared up at a white ceiling. I didn't move for a minute. I just lay there thinking. It was so quiet and peaceful, the lights in the room dimmed.

Then I reached up and felt my forehead. There were several bandages wrapped around my head and my hair was sweaty.

I brought my hand back down and tried to move my other hand. Pain zipped through my arm and I closed my eyes, stopping any movement in my right arm.

I turned my head to be able to see the small panel of buttons on the bed and pressed the one to make me sit up. It was a little painful but, not enough to make me stop.

I held the buttom until I was just slightly reclined back and could see better. From what it looked like, my right arm and leg must be broken and my chest felt tight. Probably a few broken ribs.

I glanced out the window to my right and saw that the sky was dark. It must still have be nightime. I turned to my left and my heart skipped a beat. Pretty painful when you have, most likely, several broken ribs.

Marcus was curled up in a chair right next to my bed. His eyes were closed and he was breathing in and out slowly.

I stared at him. Why was he here? It didn't make sense. He hated me so why? Didn't he think...?

He stirred and I tensed. Thankfully, he didn't wake up and I relaxed a little. He was so beautiful sleeping and I just sat there admiring him.

My eyes drooped and I grew tired again. I reached out and took his hand in mine. Then I closed my eyes.

*******

When I woke up again Marcus wasn't in the room anymore. My hand felt cold and I frowned a little. I was contemplating calling the nurse or something when the door opened.

It turned towards it and stared at Marcus. He was frozen in the doorway, halfway in and halfway out. I swallowed nervously and said, "Marcus..." My voice was scratchy and I coughed a little.

He didn't reply, just staring at me, an unreadable expression on his face. Then he turned on his heel and left the room. I stuttered, confused by this and frowned.

Then the door swung open and Cally ran in. She saw me and a smiled crossed her face. "Eliot! You're awake!" She ran over and stopped before she gave me a hug.

I nodded and her arms wrapped around me loosely. I hugged her with my one good arm and she laugh/cried while she hugged me. "I knew you'd make it..." She whispered.

I smiled a little and pulled away. "How long was I out?" I asked.

"A few days. The docters said you probably wouldn't make it but, after the first day your heartbeat started to pick up and you finally looked like you'd recover." Cally said.

I glanced at the door. "What about Marcus? He didn't exactly seem happy to see me..."

She chuckled. "He came here as soon as he heard and he hasn't left the hospital since he got here. He skipped school and even refused to leave when the docters told him to." She smiled. "He was really worried about you."

I felt a spark of happiness flow through me and I smiled. Cally asked if I needed anything and I asked for some water. She left and I was alone again.

I sighed and layed back, closing my eyes. I heard the door and thought Cally was back. But, when I looked I saw Marcus. He was standing awkwardly by the door, his hand still on the door nobb.

I frowned and looked away. "So, you were here the whole time?" I asked.

He shut the door and walked over, sitting in one of the chairs, his eyes never meeting mine. "Yeah. I heard from Cally that you... jumped from the school and that you were in the hospital."