When her eyes focus on the ones across from her, she exhales. She breathes. Her hands are still trembling, and they shakily move up to rest over Klaus' own on her shoulders. She feels the warmth of his skin under her fingertips, and she isn't enveloped by blue anymore. She doesn't know where she is exactly, but she knows she's in someone's bed and she knows the person sitting across from her and she's here. Oh god, she's alive.

    "Nik," Rory breathes. She doesn't even realise what she's doing until she launches herself into his arms. He's surprised, that much she can tell by the stiffening of his shoulders, but he hugs her back nonetheless. A hand is placed over the back of her head, and she feels the brush of his lips against the shell of her ear. And then her gaze moves over his shoulder to the other person in the room, and she freezes. "Dean."

    The sandy-haired male doesn't wear a particular look on his face. Neutral is the word she can describe it as. She gulps, suddenly realising what had happened. Dean was the one that tried to calm her down first. Klaus was probably in the room, realised that what Dean was doing wasn't enough, and took the reins. She pulls away from Klaus' embrace with a tinge of embarrassment on her cheeks, looking down at her hands.

    "I'll leave you two to it," Klaus says after a moment of awkward silence, standing up and leaving the room.

    The door shuts behind him, and Dean finally meets her gaze. "Are you okay?" he asks. There's genuine concern in his eyes as he sits on the edge of the bed, which makes Rory feel guiltier. "You've been asleep for two days. Klaus brought you here; there's this kid Davina that's been checking on you in and out. Says that you were exhausted because of what their mom did to you or something."

    "Oh," Rory says. "Uh, yes. I'm fine. I just...I've been really tired, like she said."

    "What was that about, Rory? You were like, screaming in your sleep. Sounded like you couldn't breathe, either. And like, when you woke up you were out of it," Dean frowns at her. "I couldn't calm you down but when Klaus..." he trailed off. Rory doesn't have the strength to answer. She's embarrassed. "That guy. He's the one you told me about, isn't he?"

    "Dean..." Rory begins.

    "Let me guess: it's complicated?" Dean raises an eyebrow. Rory manages a pitiful nod. He lets out a sigh. "How long has he been in town? Last thing you told me you haven't even seen the guy in two years."

    "He's been in the city for...two years," Rory tucks a hair behind her ear. "Apparently he's been staying here since...since I left. He and his family have history here."

    "Okay, let me rephrase that question—how long have you known he's been here?"

    "Just...just a week ago," Rory confesses. "That Joe guy that owns the record store—the one that directed Sam to Marcel—he...he mentioned the Mikaelsons. I had an inkling. And then I ran into Elijah. Klaus' brother. And then I ran into Klaus."

    "I see,"

    "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't think it was a big deal—"

    "Really, you didn't think it was a big deal that you saw the ex-boyfriend you're very clearly still in love with?" Dean interjects. Rory opens her mouth to protest, but he cuts her off again. "And don't try to deny it, Rory. You're not in love with me; I'm not stupid. I know that. I don't hate you for it, but I have to admit...it's not a nice feeling."

    "Dean, I'm sorry. I didn't think I'd get wrapped up in his family's drama again. I just have a way of getting into trouble," Rory responds. "I didn't want to tell you because I just didn't think I'd run into him again. I made it very clear that nothing was happening between us anymore."