Chapter 35

DAMON POV

"Pacing isn't going to wake her up any faster, you know that right?" Fox said as she looked over at me with her eyebrow raised. She was sitting in a grey, decorative chair on the other side of the hotel room. 

"And not taking her to a god damn hospital isn't any better for her health either, now is it?" I snapped at her as I shot her a deadly glare. 

"That's her rule, not mine." She said as she shrugged. 

"This is ridiculous. She needs serious medical attention, not rest!" I exclaimed as I threw my hands up in the air. 

"It's just a concussion from hitting her head, she's fine." Fox said sternly as she stood up and walked over to the mini fridge at the bar. "If anything, you need your rest too." Fox said calmly as she opened the door and pulled out a zip lock bag filled with ice. 

I glanced at the clock: it was already midnight here, but with the constant jet lag from all this traveling, I did feel a bit exhausted. I glanced over in the other room, and saw that Angelo and Gio were passed out on the couch, Storm was asleep on a chair, and Rebel was asleep on the other bed, her arms and legs spread out completely as if she was a starfish. 

"I'll be fine." I said as I ran a hand through my hair. 

"Suit yourself." Fox said as she walked over to Ghost and gently placed an ice pack over a small bump on her forehead. Silence stretched between us as the tension in the air grew thicker. 

"Fox, who was Ghost talking about?" I finally said in a low voice, making her sigh slightly. 

"What do you mean?" She said as she stood up and stared at me with her lips pursed. 

"You know damn well who I'm talking about." I said as I leaned against the wall behind me and crossed my arms. "'Fox, find the fucker who's looking for me.'" I said while making air quotes at her before crossing my arms once more. 

She paused for a moment, taking a deep breath as she looked at down at the ground before looking back up at me with an annoyed expression painted across her face. 

"You're gonna have to take that up with Ghost when she wakes up." Fox said sternly as her eyes narrowed. Fox never struck me as an intimidating woman. Granted, her intellect surpasses majority of people in the world, yet she had a soft, gentle demeanor to her. It seems like when it comes to Ghost, or anyone else in the crew for that matter, she was wildly protective of her friends. It made me grateful that she was this loyal to Ghost, yet it also annoyed the shit out of me that she isn't giving me the information that I need. 

For some reason, I found myself overcome with uncertainty. I would be lying if I said that that phone call didn't stir some unwanted thoughts. As I looked down at Ghost on the bed, I felt... conflicted. This woman was unlike anyone I've ever met before, yet she's an enigma. Constantly one step forward and two steps back.

She's helping me and my crew for a simple favor, yet she hasn't told us what it is yet.

She's the most skilled fighter I've ever seen, yet she hasn't told me who is after her and her crew. 

We spend an entire night making love to each other. Yet I don't even know her real name. 

Part of me feels like I was living in a fairy tale, delusional with the idea of Ghost. The idea of this perfect, one of a kind woman. Yet that phone call rattled me to the core. Can I actually trust her? What am I to her? What is going to happen to us after this is all over?

"Take what up with Ghost?" Ghost mumbled as she opened her eyes weary. I pushed off the wall with my heel and rushed to her side. I sat down in the chair next to the bed, and grabbed her hand. As she attempted to sit up, I gently put my hand on the center of her back, and helped her.