The Fool on the Hill

A/N: four chapters to my new story is out! It's called "Fallen", and I would be writing a chapter here and a chapter there so updates will be subject to change. I do hope it is a good read, I'm using a bit more prose than usual.

You know the drill by now. :)

Sorry for the delay on this one, and thank you so much for reading~

--

-o-

He hadn't gone back yet.

The Wizard remained seated in the rather comfortable mind space that Paul provided to him. For a musician who was so very skilled and talented in anything he put his mind into, the space was rather plain. Just grey with doors covered and mahogany curtains dressed the area, shrouding the Wizard from seeing his thoughts and events of his life.

He really was too guarded, wasn't he?

It wasn't a matter of mistrust, but just the fact that Paul found his life disinteresting to explore about.

Not to sound like a narcissist, but the Wizard would've been happy to read a publication of the lad's memoirs. It was more interesting what he had in mind than magical adventures that were too fictional to exist.

Perhaps Paul was writing a book, and the Wizard was reading it. It was all over the place, front row seats in motion. He was seeing the world through the eyes of his alternate self, without bias written on every step of the way. It was a beautiful world he lived in. A world with such simplicity yet complication because of one thing:

Words.

Words were the lead cause of difference. Languages were only vocal and through harmonies, not through visual projections of energy. Paul couldn't whip out fire from his middle-finger even if he wished it so, but he was able to spread that message through the sweetest of sounds, beautiful vibrato of jingles without showing it all.

He just had to say it, put it into a friendly voice and melody, and it was there for the world to see. There was no possibility of getting physically hurt through failure of communicating his songs, unlike a spell that could go awry. If the Wizard cited the wrong words, he could have this Mansion crumbled in a second.

Paul couldn't do that with a song. He could only shatter hearts with pain in his voice.

The Wizard was absolutely fascinated, wanting to hear more and more of what they had within their hearts, minds and souls.

The world itself was different too. With his career, this Paul had made different connections, some closer than others, some mistakes along the way, but nothing that was life threatening. It wasn't a world with rose-tinted glasses, but it was also not a lagoon of Hell's fire.

There were complications as there were blessings. Paul was a beautiful singer, a great writer, and a sweet lover, but he was also very troubled with commitment, depressed in fear that this dream will crumble, the balloon will pop after flying for so long. He will experience countless losses and all will be shooting at him all at once.

He was uncertain but didn't want to have the others know about it.

The Wizard wasn't told either, but it was written over the boy's face. That was why his condition was worsening. The Wizard didn't tell him, but he did try a healing spell that would allow the Wizard to share his pain, to lessen the burden, to half the suffering before eliminating it completely.. it was proving harder because the lad's symptoms just increased.