Chp. 26

Amaya's POV

My party went off without a hitch. Except my car went missing and then magically appeared outside the Hole. Oscar took it and brought it to one of his Tios to make sure no one fucked with it.

But other than that it was great.

Tequila, tacos, tamales, barbecue, dancing, karaoke and fun.

This was the first birthday I really enjoyed in a long, long time. It wasn't depressing nor too much. Just the right amount.

I couldn't fathom the amount of people from both sides of my family that were there. Mami must have really been on Whack-whack's good side to throw a party at the Hole AND invite Santos here.

One bad bar fight and that shunned all Santos here for almost a decade. Something about these two families never connected except for my Papi and Mami. They brought both sides of disfunction together in harmony.

Making the rounds to all the primos and Tias. I got so many shots from Mario and Angelica, who I told that I loved the jumpsuit to and she didn't seem to mind me anymore. Abuelita was also in the shot factory. The woman was an Angel who knew how to party. My little sisters who gave me a long board. Which next time I use I need to remember to not try while intoxicated. My knees were fucked.

Mami gave me a shirt that read 'Vintage 1994' and a bunch of new clothes.

Santos and Israelis gave me money.

Oscar gave me a rum with coke and cheer'sed me. Giving me a look, I knew that look.

Lupe gave me the best gift of all she got me my favorite chicken sandwich from an hour away and a Spa Day at her work.

Of all those gifts I was more excited about the chicken sandwich.

The night went on until it was time to call it. Someone got me into my mom's car and we went home. This was the best birthday I had, had in forever an I loved it.

====

Oscar had my car back to me the day after my birthday. He said his Tio couldn't find anything wrong with the car. WEIRD.

But it was also the first Saturday I didn't have to do anything for anyone else. Abuelita needed a ride to poker but other than that I was set.

In the car she was grilling me on the drama from my birthday, but I didn't really have anything to share. Ruby and Jamal must have made it out to be more dramatic than it needed to be.

After some time had pasted I finally caved in and told her about my job offer. She was delighted to hear that someone she didn't understand wanted to bring me a lot of money. Not that she cared that I loved my job.

When we got to the poker hall Abuelita got out, not before giving me something. That crazy old viejita handed me a paper bag as payment for driving her. When I opened it I knew right away it was weed.

"Gracias mija. Go help your head calm down. Feliz cumpleanos!"

"Gracias." I laughed and stashed the green in my glove box.

I went to the corner store to pick up snacks, drinks and magazines. It was 10 am and I was ready to relax.

Time to figure out my life shit.