Chp. 4

Amaya's POV

Cesar was tailing us all the way home on one of those stupid motorized scooters. We were blocks away from him yet he kept going. At one point I pulled over and waited for him to catch up before rolling my window to yell at him but decided to be nice instead.

"Get in the car." 

He was out of breath for someone who looks in shape and on a motorized scooter.

"Thank you. Asthma caught up to me." He says harshly.

He climbs in my backseat and I whip my head around.

"WHY ARE YOU STILL FOLLOWING ME?!" I yell.

"On orders. Do you remember my house?"

"If its the shitty brown one that's really white, then yes." Cesar nodded and kept trying to catch his breath.

"Glad you remember." He says grabbing his chest.

"Crank up the music." Lupe states and I oblige her request.

We sang down the roads of Freeridge belting out J.Lo., Cesar finally calmed down and bobbed to the song.

The street was full of lowriders and blacked out window cars. 

They lined the entire street, just like when I was little.

"Wow. Somethings don't change don't they?"

"Traditions are a big thing in Los Santos. But you know that, Apple Jacks." I almost slam the breaks but keep my cool.

Kind of.

~

Apple Jacks was the nickname my dad gave me. He said that he wanted to be the one who gave me my nickname not Tio Javier.

That nickname was the stupidest thing ever because no one called me that. Instead they went with the nickname my mom gave me, AJ, for Amaya Jackson. 

My original name before mom and dad got married. 

Then they hyphenated my name to Jackson-Sanchez.

Out of four kids, I was the only one with a hyphenated name. I'd never change it. Everyone in college called me AJ Sanchez and I loved it. 

No one could ever figure out if my friends were talking about a girl or a guy. It was a hilarious situation because half the time people would be shocked to see a girl pop out.

~

Cesar pointed to the house with a bunch of cholos out front and I pulled over. Cesar slid out the backseat and a few of the older Santos came over to ask me how I was.

All of a sudden the hairs on the back of my neck pricked up and I turned to see mister head Santo himself bent down and peaking into my car.

"Sup?" I shrugged.

"Sup with you?" I retort back.