Chp. 7

Amaya's POV

The high school was exactly the same.

Literally not one thing was out of place.

I led us towards the main office where mami said I needed to grab my keys.

We walked in an the secretary Señora Garcia was still there. After all her years I expected her to retire soon.

Well more like 6 years ago but what do I know?

"Can I help you? School doesn't start until next week."

"Yes, I know that. My name is Amaya Jackson. My mother Mrs. Sanchez said this is where I should pick up my keys."

"Your keys. Keys are for teachers only. Not high schoolers."

"Señora, I graduated almost 7 years ago. From this high school. And he, well I don't know if he graduated but I'm a teacher here."

"Oh! I'm sorry. What was your name again?"

"Amaya Jackson. Or AJ Sanchez. I don't know what they have me down as now."

The old woman got up from her computer chair and puttered over to the back room.

"I graduated by the way." Oscar says making me turn around.

"I didn't know if you did." He nodded.

"You were at my graduation. With your mom." He says quietly.

Before I could ask more questions the old woman returned with a big yellow envelope with 'AJ Sanchez' written across it.

"Here ya go. Room N-237. Oh Mr. Diaz, I'd like to thank you about Walter." I turned around but Oscar avoided my eye contact.

"No problem at all. Call again if you need something." She thanked him and then I thanked her.

 We walked over to the elevator which I finally had a key to. 

No way in hell am I about to walk up 2 flights of stairs with this backpack.

"So who's Walter?"

"Her husband. Prophet$ tried robbing him."

"And you helped how?"

His silence was his tell. 

I just nodded and walked out of the elevator when it dinged at the second floor.

We walked down the hall halfway to my new classroom. It was definitely the same as when I was last in this room.

"You're the new computer teacher?" 

I heard sounds of amusement as he asked his question. It pissed me off.

"Yes. Why?"

He just shook his head at me and grabbed his coffee.

I pulled out my laptops from my backpack. Setting up my desk just like I like it.