Chapter Fifteen

*Arrow*

Nemesis wasn't one to run away from family and if she needed space, she didn't stay away for very long.

So none of us were surprised when she finally showed up on the front porch of the lake house a few days after the ceremony on Olympus.

"Hi you guys," she greeted us.

Calix was the first to approach our sister. He pulled her into a hug and to my utter shock, she started sobbing. Calix took her inside and the rest of us followed. My youngest brother and sister sat down on one of the couches.

For a while, no one spoke and the only sound that could be heard was Nemesis' sobbing. Then she finally spoke.

"I'm so sorry," she choked out.

"Oh Nemesis, what could you possibly have to apologize for?" I asked.

"I abandoned Davina, Clary, Rose, and Avalon," Nemesis stated.

"No you didn't," Clarissa assured her, "You were sidelined because of the prophecy."

Nemesis turned to look at Clary and I saw her tear stained cheeks.

"You could have died, Clary!" Nemesis cried.

"But I didn't," Clarissa reminded her, "Nemesis I'm fine and so is the baby."

"Nemesis, I know you," I told my sister, "And I know that while you may feel guilty for being sidelined during the battle, that's not the only thing wrong here."

Nemesis sighed.

"I'm the Goddess of Retribution," Nemesis stated, "I'm supposed to be able to sense the crimes of others and punish them for it. But I didn't sense that Ares had harmed Aphrodite or that Hemera had betrayed us. I was blind to it and I shouldn't have been. I failed in my my role as the Goddess of Retribution."

"Nemesis, you did nothing wrong," I assured her.

"You did the best you could," Clarissa told her, "None of us expected Hemera's betrayal."

"But I should have!" Nemesis protested, "I could have stopped her! I could have stopped Ares!"

"Nemesis, you shouldn't beat yourself up over it," Soren told her, "It all worked out in the end."

"It doesn't matter," Nemesis replied.

"Why?" Ryder asked.

"Because I didn't come here for reassurance, I came to say goodbye," Nemesis told us.

"What?" I asked, "What do you mean, Nemesis?"

"I'm leaving the lake house and going back to Olympus," Nemesis replied, "I want to understand my skills and see what I can do so this doesn't happen again."

Nemesis got up, went to her room and gathered her things. I couldn't believe this. She was actually doing this. She was actually going to leave. She came back into the living room a few moments later carrying a bag.

"Nemesis, you don't have to do this," I told her.

"Yes...I do," she insisted. And with that said she vanished in a flash of light.

"Oh my Gods," Avalon whispered.

"I can't believe she did that," Rosalie said softly.

"She just needs time," Calix reasoned, "Nemesis felt useless during the battle. I don't blame her for wanting to step away and hone her skills."

"I hope she finds some peace, and comes to terms with what happened," Davina stated.