Chapter-1

A beautiful black haired girl ran against the heavy downpour to reach her car after a tiring day in the hospital. The dimly lit street enhanced the radiance on her face, streaked by rivulets of rainwater. Her brown eyes shone in the moonlight.

While packing her bag, she had received a message from her mother that her parents, and uncle, and aunt would return late at night. She walked to the parking lot briskly to seek shelter from the rain.

As she was about to close the door of her car in the hospital's parking area, a sound made her turn her head.

"Hey miss, you are forgetful, I know, but, I'm shocked to learn that you can even forget your bestie," shouted Surbhi.

"Your company affects you, so you're the reason of my forgetfulness, and secondly, I thought it's your marriage anniversary so you might be going on a date with Akash. Now, hop in before I zoom past you," Saumya replied, smirking.

"So, how was the day?" asked Surbhi.

Smiling, Saumya said, "It was great. Tiring as usual, but great. I love how we get to help people. That feeling of accomplishment when you know that you made someone's day. It's indescribable yet blissful." Her eyes twinkled.

Her friend smiled.

"I agree. The satisfaction which comes with being a doctor is so joyous."

She turned to her friend. "What are your plans for the day? I mean, it's your marriage anniversary, right? Akash should take you on a date."

Surbhi's face fell and her lips parted in distress.

"Akash has a night shift today. Maybe tomorrow we will go out."

Saumya could sense that something was amiss. She was accustomed to Surbhi's chatter throughout their short ride home. Today seemed an exception as her friend silently stared out the window.

"What happened?"

"I don't know, Saumya. I have a feeling as if something is wrong. It's an intuition, you can say."

"Oh, so you have become a fortune teller, huh?"

Laughing, Saumya continued, "Don't think about it. I guess you're being paranoid. All is well. Don't worry, nothing's wrong."

Turning towards the right, the girls reached Surbhi's apartment.

"Bye, Surbhi. Everything is going to be okay." She tried to reassure her friend.

Saumya's eyes seemed to have constricted as she stared at her friend's retreating figure. The glow, which Endymion's lover bestowed upon her face, now faded.

"Everything is going to be alright Saumya. Don't be paranoid," she consoled her racing heart.

With newfound enthusiasm, she headed for her final destination for the night.

She dozed on the couch in the living room with a book in hand. That made it evident that she had fallen into a deep slumber while trying to pass time until her parents' arrival.

As her phone rang at midnight, her sleep was broken. It took her some time to realise that her phone was ringing.

"Hello," she said.

"Hello, Saumya this is Akash speaking. I am really sorry for what I am about to share..," said Dr. Malhotra, Surbhi's husband.

A beat of silence passed. In a matter of moments, the calmness of the night lost its beauty. Her mind raced with endless possibilities. What could have made Akash call her at such an odd hour.