Chapter-17

Lying on his bed, he was wide awake. Light was streaming through the chink in his room's window. He stretched his arms and legs as if making snow angels. Something dropped on the floor with a loud thud. Sitting up on the bed, he bent down to pick up the fallen item. It was an old photo frame in which two couples stood beside each other. Three children stood in front; a boy standing between two girls.

Why has Saumya changed so much? She had to go through a lot. It's quite natural to be melancholic. However, it has been a long time now. Is the accident the only reason behind this change? One thing is clear for sure- she has to move on. This can't be possible unless she opens up and vents out all the pent up emotions buried deep inside. I will be there for you Saumya. I will help you. I will make you trust me.

"Why are you so concerned about Saumya? She is just a friend," his brain argued.

"She is a friend. She is just a friend," his heart repeated.

"If I were you, my friend, I wouldn't be so sure," his brain advised.

Snapping out of it, he got up and went to do his morning business. He was certain he had turned insane and if he really wanted to keep the last ounce of sanity alive in him, he would have to steel himself.

__________________________________

"Di, I talked to Akshit. He said he can manage," Esha said as she stood in the living room.

"What?! How can he manage? He didn't come for breakfast either. He doesn't even know how to cook," Saumya said.

Esha stood across the kitchen counter, smirking.

"What is it?" Saumya said fiercely.

"Nothing." She continued after a pause, "I have to go to the mall with Surbhi Di and Pia. It's already 4 and you should let us go if you want us to return by 9."

"You are going to the mall and you didn't even ask me to go!" Saumya exclaimed.

"I know you wouldn't have agreed. It has been four years since I roamed on the streets of Delhi. It would take a long time. What's the point of asking when I know the answer?"

Huffing, Saumya said, "Okay fine. Don't be too late."

The rest of the day passed swiftly as she went about cleaning the house. It had been ages since she last dusted her bookshelf. When she was finally done, she looked up at the clock.

It's dinner time already. Why are they late? They are growing increasingly indisciplined. I will have to scold them.

The doorbell rang. With ruffling feathers, Saumya went to open the door.

"How many times do I have to..." Saumya's speech trailed.

Her mouth hung open as she saw Akshit standing at the door.

"I am sorry. I thought it was Esha." He had refused to come hadn't he?

"Esha is not at home?" his deep voice reverberated.

"Nope she is late," Saumya said, shaking her head. "Come on in. Dinner is ready."

"Thanks a lot, Saumya," he said sincerely.

"Friends don't say thanks or sorry, right?" she said, smiling.

"Oops old habits die hard," he said, reciprocating her smile.

She followed him as he walked inside.

As he sat on the couch, she said, "I will set the table."

"Shouldn't we wait for them?"

"Nope they are going to eat in a restaurant."

"Why are you looking like an angry bird?"

"They are so careless. It is so unhealthy to eat junk food. Moreover, given Surbhi's condition it's dangerous."

"You are being paranoid, Saumya. They are adults. I am sure this is the first time in months that they are eating out."

Nodding, she went towards the kitchen. Akshit got up from the couch, as if on cue, and followed her towards the kitchen.

"Oh please Akshit, you can sit. There's nothing much to help with."

"I insist."

Something in his voice made her turn around. She got lost in the chocolaty brown ocean. His mesmerizing face, his enchanting eyes; all seemed to have cast a spell upon her. It took all the strength in her to turn around. Picking up a bowl, she started whipping the cake batter. With her back facing him, she said, "Thanks for your help. You can take the dishes and set the table."

He had been entranced by her eyes. He was curious to explore the depths of those black seas. He wanted to obliterate all the sad memories from their depths. The mole on her right cheek only added to her natural beauty. He was staring dazedly at her until she spoke up.

The dinner was a silent affair. Normally, Esha and Pia's antics would have kept them entertained However, the silence that now reigned did not seem uncomfortable to them as they enjoyed each other's presence without uttering a word.

It was quite late at night as she stood on the balcony of her first-floor room. She was staring dazedly at the moonlit night sky. The stars were twinkling like her own eyes.

Akshit is so caring and friendly towards me. He helps me like a friend. Is this a grab? Is he really such a good guy? Is he like Samar? No Saumya, you shouldn't trust anyone. It will only lead you to immense sorrow.

Tears rolled down her eyes.

I want to trust you Akshit. I want to be free from all the worries. I want to live life without caring about anyone. I want to...

She broke down.

No Saumya, you are a strong girl. You should be cautious but not break down. But tears help you get over your misery.

Her brain was now blank. She did not know anything. Her bleared face was illuminated by the moonlight as she cried her heart out.

After what seemed like an eternity, she wiped her face with her hands and went down the stairs.

-------------------------------------

Hello Everyone!

I was going to update this chapter in the evening. However, my laptop stopped working. The chapter got deleted. I had to type it all over again. I hope it isn't bad.

So what do you think about Akshit's resolution? Will he be successful? Will Saumya trust him? What about her break down? Hope you liked it.

Please vote and comment. I love my notifications being spammed by your comments. But lately I feel you are not as enthusiastic as me. You all never comment. Please let me know what you think guys. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Hope you are safe.

Love,

Mia