08 Burden

Coddiwomple Trivia #4 : Delphia did not take the Magic Knights exam.

- - - - - - - - -

"Phia, are you okay?"

Seeing Delphia work in the lounge rather than her office, the playboy decided to help and keep her company, sorting some of her work.

Finral frowned, taking in all the signs that indicated a rather stressed out vice-captain. The furrow in her brow, the way she bit her lip, her sighs, how she ran her hand through her hair, and the constant glances towards the hideout entrance as if waiting for some bad news.

Delphia sighed again, curling over her work, resting her head in her palms. Her shoulders were tense as she shook her head.

"I have a bad feeling." She murmured.

Finral tensed. When it came to Delphia, gut instincts weren't something to ignore. But with the way she was acting, this wasn't just a feeling. She's seen something... and she can't do anything about it.

The spatial user rose from his seat to sit beside his vice-captain. Losing his playboy persona, he gently tugged her towards him, letting her rest against his chest. Delphia was still somewhat tense, but feeling the way Finral ran his hand through her hair, she slowly relaxed, tucking herself under his chin.

"They'll be alright..." Finral assured, having already guessed her uneasiness was because of the mission Magna, Noelle and Asta had taken.

Delphia remained silent, tired eyes falling shut. Despite how welcomed the comforting words were, she already knows, and nothing will change that.

* * * * *

"Phia.... Phia, wake up."

The young woman groaned in protest before allowing her eyes to flutter open. She frowned slightly at the playboy and laughed at her dazed expression.

"Headquarters is trying to reach you."

The vice-captain frowned as she glanced at the communication device. She added a silencing function, but they must have been trying to reach her for a while now. Flicking her hand, she squinted her eyes as the connection got through, revealing a familiar mushroom head advisor.

"Oh good, it finally got through! Delphia, you're needed at headquarters. We've been updated on a situation at Saussy Village. Three of your members were caught in a conflict against a group of rogue mages." Marx reported.

Delphia straightened, lips pursed. "I'll be there in a moment."

Marx nodded in acknowledgement before the connection was cut.

Delphia sighed, placing her papers in their correct folders.

"Finral, can you send these to my office and open a portal to headquarters."

Finral frowned beside her. "Are you sure? Vanessa and I could always go instead?"

Though her eyes were heavy, Delphia smiled, leaning over to press a kiss against the man's cheek in thanks.

"It's fine. Thank you, Finral. If you would..."

The spatial user's face was red, and although he was against it, he complied, opening a portal for her.

With a nod, Delphia walked through and was gone.

* * * * *

Delphia's countenance was detached as she awaited the arrival of her squadmates in front of headquarters. It wasn't long before she recognized the roar of a broom, and the trio landed in front of her. Asta grinned at her presence, bounding up to her.