02 The Trials

Coddiwomple Trivia #1 : Delphia has no siblings and is the heir to the Noble House of Rotta.

- - - - - - - - - -

"We will now have you all take several tests," William began, "The nine of us will evaluate your performance, and then select the candidates we would like to add to our squads. If you're chosen by more than one squad, you may join the squad of your choice. On the other hand, those who are not chosen by any captain are not qualified to join the Magic Knights."

The tension was palpable as the examinees realized that it has finally begun; every action they make from that moment on would be scrutinized by the captains they admired greatly and determine their futures.

"For the first exam, we will have you get on those brooms and fly."

Worried whispers erupted from the crowd, many having not experienced flying before.

"Mages who can control their magic powers should be able to do this instinctively. It is the most basic way for mages to travel. If you cannot fly a broom, you're not worth looking at."

William glanced over his shoulder, meeting Yami's eyes. Taking a long drag of his cigarette, he rolled his eyes, nodding at his fellow captain's silent inquiry. The masked man smirked, returning his attention to the examinees.

"Besides the captains, there will be one other examiner that will be evaluating your performance. Lady Rotta?"

"Oh no..."

"Isn't she just the vice-captain of the worse squad? Is her evaluation even valid?"

"That may be true, but her magic is one of a kind. She can practically see into everyone's future with her abilities. I heard even the Wizard King goes to her for counsel."

"It's not well known, but after her first year of service, she's become a vital part of the entrance exam. If she doesn't even give you a glance, you can bet your chances of becoming a Magic Knight are slim to none." 

Delphia yawned, stepping up beside William. Her eyes gleamed, her mana surrounding her lithe figure before releasing in a wave. The candidates shivered at the feel of her mana passing through them. It was strangely comforting as if someone was gently coaxing them to relax and tell them about themselves.

"With that, let's begin."

With her magic circulating and her intent clear, Delphia's eyes were slightly out of focus as she saw what others could not. Her gaze flicked in several directions, the captains noted each examinee her eyes remained on before moving on. Delphia's magic at work narrowed down the possible contenders, as the mana drew her towards the mages with the highest potential.

Her usually half-lidded eyes were wide as she studied the mages before her. Feeling her magic urge her, she withdrew a deck of cards from a drawstring pouch strapped to her waist, catching the attention of the Magic Knights around her.

"A reading? Phia's never done one during the exams before!" Finral gaped.

"It seems we have some outstanding candidates this year." William mused, half his attention on the examinees and the other on the violet haired mage.

Endued with her magic, Delphia slid her hand in an arc, the cards following, flying to hover facedown in front of her. She picked out three cards with her magic guiding her, humming as she deliberated over the cards' interpretations and their relation to the other cards.

Six of Wands. Death Reversed. Four of Swords Reversed.