Chap 7. On the Path to a Safe Haven

Y/n's POV

We walked into a small village where we planned to spend at least a few hours resting before continuing our way to Haven Academy. "Are you five the huntsman and huntresses who just arrived in town?" A man asked walking up to us. Mommy nodded grabbing onto my hand, the man motioned for us to follow him which we did. "I want to ask if you'd help take care of a geist that has been terrorizing our village for a while now." The man said as we arrived at a house. Mommy nodded, I noticed Jaune looking at his shield and sword. I let go of mommy's hand and walked over to him. "What's wrong Jaune?" I asked. He looked up at me a little surprised, he let out a sigh before taking his sword and shield off his belt. "I want to put some of that metal we got from Pyrrha on my sword and shield, but I almost don't feel worthy of it." Jaune said. I looked up at him and grabbed his hand, he looked at me surprised again. "When I first met mommy, I was scared. Scared that she'd be like my other family, afraid she'd hurt me or leave me to waste away, but when she didn't and started to take care of me I found myself being afraid of not being worthy of her love. When she told me about this journey I decided to tell her about how I felt, she told me 'never think that, you're my child and will always be worthy of my love.'" I told Jaune.

"So you're saying that just because I don't feel worthy of using the metal she gave me, doesn't mean I'm not?" Jaune asked. I nodded, he set his backpack down and pulled out the metal he was given. "She's right Jaune." Ren said standing next to me. Jaune laughed and then gained a smiled, I smiled back at him before heading back over to mommy. "When did you get to be so smart sweetie?" Mommy asked patting me on the head. I giggled and hugged her, mommy looked back to the man before nodding. "We'll take care of the grimm, but do you perhaps have a blacksmith in the village?" Mommy asked. The man nodded pointing in the direction of a small shop. "He lives in that shop right over there, and I didn't realize this was your child." The man said. Mommy and I giggled a bit before turning to face him. "I saved her from an abusive family, I took her in just before the fall of Beacon. She's been my little rose petal ever since." Mommy said. I looked at her and started to pout. "Mommy you said you wouldn't call me that in front of strangers." I complained blushing. Mommy giggled and scratched me behind my ear, I let out a quiet purr before moving her hand away. "Sorry, but you are my little rose petal. Well team RNJR let's go to the blacksmith's shop and then head out to defeat the grimm." Mommy said. Ren, Nora and Jaune nodded as we waved goodbye to the man and heading towards the blacksmith's shop.

Timeskip about an hour

We had dropped Jaune's armor off with the blacksmith before heading out to kill the grimm, since Jaune didn't have a weapon I had to protect him. I had my scythe loaded with multiple types of dust, I had my white hood on with a red cape flowing behind me. "Here comes mommy." I said to Jaune as Mommy came through the trees shooting the grimm who had possessed some rocks. He ran out to get a better look at the grimm, Ren tried to slash it with his weapons as mommy took one of it's arm's off. "Yes!" Jaune cheered. The grimm stuck it's arm in a tree trunk, I shot the trunk with a fire dust bullet catching the tree on fire. "Ahhh!" Jaune screamed as the geist swung the trunk at us. The geist threw some rocks towards Jaune, I shot each rock with a dust bullet. "Thanks Y/n!" Jaune yelled. I looked back to the geist wondering what I could do to help more. "Y/n stay back, I know what you're thinking!" Mommy yelled. I stayed where I was as Jaune started to explain something to mommy and the others. Jaune came back to me, and crouched down next to me. "Ready to kill a grimm?" Jaune asked. I nodded quickly, I watched and mommy threw Nora towards the grimm breaking it apart. I saw the geist leave the rock I aimed and took the shot to kill it. I let out a sigh before resting my back on a nearby rock. Mommy came over to me patting me on the head again. "Good job rose petal, ready to head back?" Mommy asked. I nodded and stood up grabbing her hand as she lead the way back to the village.

We met with the man who asked us to deal with the grimm. "Thank so much that grimm was wrecking havoc on us for quite some time." The man said. I was starting to doze off before I felt someone pick me up. "Tired my little petal?" Mommy asked as she put me on her back. I nodded, letting out a small yawn. "Let's go get Jaune armor and weapon and head out, we still have some walking to make up." Mommy said to everyone. I waved to the man as we headed towards the smith shop. Once we got there mommy set me down on the floor standing me up trying to get me to stay awake. "Here ya go, this should protect you more but in exchange it's a bit heavier then your used too. Let me go get the rest of your gear." The blacksmith said heading to the back. I looked up to see Jaune's new armor, he took off his old chest piece  revealing a hoodie with a bunny's face on it. Mommy tried to hold in some laughter, I looked at it and then at mommy. "What is that?" Mommy asked.

"What this, I've always had this." Jaune said. Mommy started to laugh harder. "It's got a cute little bunny on it." Mommy exclaimed. The more mommy laughed the more I wanted to laugh, so I started giggling as well. "It's Pumkin Pete, you know from the cereal." Jaune said.

"What'd you do send in a box top to get that?" Mommy asked between her laughs.

"Yeah, fifty (50)." Jaune said. Mommy started laughing so hard she fell on the floor, I soon joined her in a fit of laughter. We heard the blacksmith come back out and setting the point of the shield in the counter opening it. "That was some fine metal you brought me where'd you get it?" The smith asked. Me and mommy got up off the floor surrounding Jaune, smiling about how we were all growing even if we didn't realize it. "From a friend." Jaune said. Me, mommy, Ren and Nora left the shop waiting for Jaune outside. He came out with his new armor on, he drew his sword and opened his shield. "He cleans up alright, don't ya think?" The smith said. We all nodded as we started back on our way towards Mistral. Jaune went through a checklist of supplies as we left the village.

"That was awesome, my first grimm kill and now we're back on the road to Mistral. Can't wait to see what happens next." I thought to myself as I slowly fell asleep being carried by mommy.