Chapter 56

Y/n's POV

We stood on the cliff for a second looking at the giant tree. "So are we just going to stand around here thinking about this in silence or..." Auntie Yang started.

"I know this place is weird, but a fairytale. I mean that's impossible." Mom said.

"I mean I can see where you're coming from mom, but look at this place. It's too unreal not to be a fairytale." I said, gesturing to the different island that were foating around us. I looked over and saw that the mouse mama made friends with standing up on her shoulder before seeing everyone else juding the mouse since it could talk. "What we've seen is improbable, but that doesn't mean we're in an actual fairytale. Are we seriously entertaining this idea?" Mama said.

"Do you have a better for what's going on here?" Auntie Yang asked.

"Well let's try to be more logical. We fell from the sky, Ruby made friends with a tiny mouse, Blake and I got caught by killer vines, and you got your arm stolen by a... What was it?" Mama pointed out.

"A talking racoon, riding on a purple wagon filled with trash." Auntie Yang said. Mama just looked at her for a second. "Sounds like a fairytale to me. You know, now that I think of it. This seems like a fairytale I've read before." I said. Mama walked off before mumbling to herself away from the rest of us. "As crazy as it sounds something about this is familiar." Mom said.

"The Girl who Fell Through the World." Big sis said.

"That's the one. I loved that story." I said.

"We must be in the Everafter." Big sis said.

"Blake that world is just make believe. It was just from a story we read as kids." Mama said.

"It's not make believe, it's where I live." Little said.

"Can you tell us more about it?" I asked, looking at little.

"Have you ever heard the name Alex?" Big sis asked.

"An Alex? Is that a purpose?" Little asked. Big sis started explaining the story to Little before auntie Yang chipped in and finished the story with her. "So what now, do we just go to the tree? Look for Alex, Yang's arm, Ruby you're still missing cresent rose." Mama said.

"I'll bet the jinxy peddler has it." Little said.

"Who!" Mama shouted. Little got scared and hid in mom's hood. "The Jinxy Peddler. They're the only talking racoon I know." Little repeated.

"Do you know where he might be?" Big sis asked. I looked over at mama who was off rambling to herself again. "Of course, I'll lead the way." Little said. Little pointed the way before falling asleep on mom's head again. "So the town is just ahead right?" Big sis asked. Mom reached up and poked Little's stomach trying to get them to wake up, but they just curled up into a ball staying asleep. "I've been thinking. We're going to go to this town, Alex didn't know their costums and ended up starting a war among the townsfolk." Big sis said.

"Well, Alex was kind of a mean person right? She lied and cheated her way through most of the book." Auntie Yang added.

"Yeah, I thought that was weird. But I liked it since she escaped to a new world." I said.

"You read this while you were with your old family, huh?" Big sis asked. I nodded and rubbed the back of my head. "It was the only book that I had." I said.

"She was trying to survive. The morals of those old stories were so simplistic." Mama said.

"Either way we should tread lightly." Big sis said. I heard Little stretch before they said that the town was just ahead of us. "Do they steal from you too?" Auntie Yang asked.

"No... They just take the things we're not looking at." Little said.

"Sounds like stealing to me." I said.

"Fair's fair." Little said, curling up again. Mama sarcastically said that Jinyx peddler was a legitimate business person. Mama then asked about how the racoon stole auntie Yang's arm. Auntie Yang told us how they stole it while she was knocked out. Big sis started laughing and got close to auntie Yang. "So would you say he caught you unarmed." Big sis joked. Auntie Yang gently nudged her trying to get her to be quiet. I watched as their hands got close, but didn't touch. "How disarming." Big sis said. I giggled hearing one pun after another from big sis Blake was unusual. "About time." Mama said.

"Yeah, they deserve each other." I agreed.

"For what?" Mom asked.

"Nothing." Mama said.

"Don't worry, we'll find a way out of here and go back home." Mom said, sounding depressed. Mama stopped walking and started talking about how she had nothing to go back to. "You did the best you could for Atlas." Mama said.

"But it wasn't enough. We don't even know if we saved the relics from... Maybe Jaune and Winter were able to get them out. Despite everything..." Mama said. They were both quiet for a second before I walked up to mama and moved her hand so it was on top of my head. "You've always got something to come back to, remember?" I said, smiling up at her. She smiled and pet me a little earning a soft purr from me before we followed after Big sis and auntie Yang. We eventually came to a bridge where we could cross to the next island. Mama ended up inviting Little to join us after they thought about living by the bridge. We made it across the bridge and walked into town where it looked like little totems were walking around. As we got closer to the center of town we found the wagon that auntie Yang talked about before asking about roughing them up. Big sis basically told her no and auntie Yang still wanted to hit them.

Jinxy's wagon opened before they had three different items appear. Auntie Yang complained that she didn't see her arm. "Jinxy's items are just other items in disguise." I said.

"Y/n's right. Ruby?" Big sis said. Mom was looking at the wooden doll. "There's something about that doll." Mom said. Jinxy started the bids and sold the first item for a hug, the second item which auntie yang believed was her arm was bought for feeling loved, but someone else bought it first. Auntie Yang was upset and wanted to take them on while Big sis tried to calm her down. "The last item, the jade marionette." Jinxy said.

"Me!" Mom said, raising her hand.

"Bidding starts at, enough hope to fill this jar." Jinxy said, holding up a jar. Mom looked down for a second. "You don't have enough do you? That's a shame, the girl next to you has so much." Jinxy said, looking at me. I looked at mom and saw that Little was gone and started looking around for them. I saw Little on Jinxy's wagon before they started dragging the marionette off the wagon. "Leave that alone, you can't touch it until the deal is done." Jinxy said. The marionette changed into a sword which I recognized as Penny's weapon while she was a maiden. I looked back at Big sis who was starting to freak out about what was happening in the town. Mom ran up to the wagon and picked up the sword while auntie Yang took her arm back from the knight looking puppets. We all started running off while everyone else was dealing with Jinxy. We made it out into the forest and came to a stop in a clearing as I heard auntie yang laughing about something. "Those people take auctions way to seriously. High five?" Auntie Yang said. Big sis groaned about what happened before I gave auntie Yang a high five. Big sis complained about how we were doing the same thing that Alex was doing. Mom sat down and started feeling sad about Penny as a small storm formed around us. Mama was eager to leave and started to walk towards the tree, but she somehow came back to in front of us.

She picked up a rock and threw it at the tree before it hit her in the back of the head. Mom ended up asking Big sis what Alex did next in the story before the rain stopped falling. Big sis explained the next part of the story before the knights from before showed up and mom offered the sword that we had to be a present for the king.