Chapter 29

My head spun as I sat in the car on the way back home alone. After what happened, Allison made me leave the awards show early and said she'll decide what to do with me once she gets home.

I still felt furious, but I was also disappointed in myself. It wasn't like me to jump at Kylie like that... Until recently, I made sure to never upset them. But now, I did something unforgettable in front of so many people. I felt sick once I realized there were cameras there too.

I could already picture the magazines headline tomorrow- Girls gone bad? More like girl gone wild.

I felt like I was going to throw up. This night wasn't supposed to end like this. I was supposed to get my award, make my heart warming speech and go home.

As I spent the rest of the ride wishing I could be in bed already so I could disappear from the world forever, I felt my phone vibrate in my clutch.

I was guessing it was Tina wondering why I disappeared, but I didn't want to talk to anyone so I didn't even check. I leaned my head on the window, keeping my tears from falling, feeling so frustrated and alone.

When I finally got to our apartment, I threw my bag on my nightstand and plopped onto my bed, before bursting into tears. I knew I shouldn't cry, but I felt so overwhelmed, overworked and unappreciated that I needed to. Moments later, I went to grab my phone, remembering to text Tina since I thought she had called.

After listening to many of her worried voice messages, I texted her right away to let her know I was fine. I knew I shouldn't have done that to her, but I felt so miserable that night, I didn't care.

I let out a breath, knowing I had to pull myself together before the girls and Allison got home.

Only one thing was going to help- wine.

After undressing, letting my hair down and removing my makeup, I decided to get a glass of wine to prepare me before Allison got home. For the first time in a long time, I had to admit, I was scared. I mean for the past few weeks I was shining, I felt like I had control of my career... until tonight. I hope Kylie was happy.

As I searched through our cabinets for a bottle, my eye caught something in the garbage can we keep in the kitchen. I squinted to see if I saw that properly- a paper with handwriting that looked almost identical to Marshall's. I thought it was impossible for me to remember his handwriting (even though I spent quite some time in his studio...) so I shook it off. But I suddenly remembered he had said something about sending me a note in his drunk call to me last night.

I rushed to see if I was right, grabbing the torn letter under a pile of tissues and food packaging. I was stunned to find out I was right. I frantically dug inside the trash to find the other half so I could read it. Thankfully I did, putting the shrivelled pieces side by side.

Dear Mel,
I'm not good at apologies but I do believe that actions speak louder than words. You said I need to distract myself better so here I am sending you roses and writing this cheesy note hoping to make you smile. I been thinking a lot about us since we last talked and I finally I made a decision. I didn't want a relationship... but I guess your crazy ass was brought into my life for a reason.
I hope I didn't ruin what we had between us. Give me a call.

- M.

I felt my eyes start to get watery as I re-read the note over and over again. This was almost too sweet to be Marshall. So the letter- the roses, it was all true... I just never got them. How could the girls do this to me? How long ago did he send them to me?