Chapter 27

"Wow..." Tina trailed off, looking at me in disbelief. I had just finished explaining to her everything that happened last night with Marshall. I knew she was going to take his side like she usually did, so I was just waiting to hear her criticize me again.

"He was being an asshole..." she said, to my surprise. "I mean, he knew you liked him for so long and when he finally told you how he felt, it was after you were going out with Justin."

"Exactly!" Finally she was on my side.

"And after you turned him down... not even two hours had gone by that he was already sleeping with some girl." She went on, making me feel so relieved she thought the same. She then winced, as if she was thinking about something. "Although... if he called someone else that quickly, he must have been hurting real bad."

I sighed. So he was really that upset he couldn't be with me that he had to quickly call someone else to distract him?

"Well either way, I went crazy on him." I confessed. "We were so close to finally being together, and then I just had to find some slut in his room." I said, feeling angry again, remembering that scene. Even though he said nothing happened, I refused to believe him. "But I don't know, was I overreacting? Should I call him?"

Tina stared at me, as if she was in thought. Moments later she replied, "You did your part, Mel." When I looked at her confused, she added, "He knows how much you care... and by now he should know you only get crazy because of how much you like him." She laughed, which made me roll my eyes. "Just wait. If he's really worth it, he'll fix it."

So I took her advice. I waited.

A day went by, then two days, then four... still no word from him. And as the days passed, I got increasingly agitated. I would skip interviews and rehearsals to stay in bed, because of how unmotivated I became. And none of the girls could help me, or make me go anywhere- not even Allison who kept threatening to throw me out of the group. Of course, she couldn't really lose her lead singer could she?

Except one late night, I heard the girls talking behind my back while they thought I was asleep.

"She is just so ... ugh." I heard Kylie's groan frustratedly. "She gets so much privilege just because she's the lead singer. I swear, if I pulled that shit, Allison would fire me and hire a replacement by now."

"I know. But what can we do? She is the star of Divine 4 now." Selena said, making my heart sink. How could she?

"What we can do is let her continue ruining her career like this. And everyone will finally realize how ungrateful she is." Kylie responded.

"So we stop caring for her? Do everything ourselves?" I heard Rose say this time.

"Just let her fade out..." Kylie added.

At first I thought it was a bad dream, but after a whole lot of pinching, I was devastated to find out it wasn't.

I suddenly wondered why I was so upset this whole time over one guy, when my own group was the one truly breaking my heart. And these girls... who were supposed to be like my sisters... were saying such awful things about me when I had been nothing but good to them.

I've had enough. Enough bad moods, tears, heart breaks, and definitely enough being unappreciated. Tomorrow, I was going to show these girls why I'm the lead and that nothing can stop me. I'll pretend like I didn't hear a thing tonight- but one thing was certain- I wasn't going to let anyone break my heart anymore.

———————————————

"Melissa!" I kept hearing my name as I stepped out of our limo, facing crowds of fans who were holding Divine 4 posters and trying to reach out for me to sign them. I saw flashes from the paparazzi, but this time I was flattered to be taken photos of.

I gave a smile to my- I mean our fans, in my silver ankle strap heels and short low cut black dress that showed off my tanned body. We were heading in to do an interview with Tyra Banks, which I was so excited for. But I also knew she had a tendency to make guests feel a little uncomfortable with her questions.

"Wow! Ladies, you look stunning today!" Tyra began, while everyone clapped for us as we sat side by side on her big purple couch.

Once we all greeted, she immediately dived into the questions. "How does it feel to be the hottest girl group right now? Especially for you four girls, since we all know that..." she turned to the audience. "Cat fights can happen."

She was right about that.

"Well we try not to get into each other's hairs often." I blurted, before anyone else could respond. "We do have separate lives, and it's important that we're understanding and we all give each other space." I said, looking at the rest of the girls with fake smiles. I hope I made them feel bad.

"Wow. Melissa, you must be like the responsible mom of the group right? I mean, at first we didn't know much about you, but suddenly you blew up and now everyone's dying to know more." Suddenly, the crowd cheered again. I smiled at everyone to show my appreciation.

"Yeah, at first, she was mostly behind the scenes, song writing and not getting involved in as many opportunities as us." Kylie said, with her sickly sweet voice. "But ever since the whole Eminem situation..."

I tried so hard not to narrow my eyes at her. What was she trying to do? Act like I only became famous from him?

"Oh my God, yes!" Tyra exclaimed. "You went from a rocky start with Eminem to performing a whole song with him! How was that like?" She asked, making me feel so happy that Kylie didn't get the negative spotlight that she wanted on me.

"You know, it's crazy... I originally wrote Superman with him." I said, pretending like I was hesitant to admit it.

"Shut up!" She screamed, gasping at the audience. I nodded, shrugging. "So why weren't you on the song?"

"You know, I had to do what was best for the group then." I gave the girls my fake smile again. "I always put that first." I noticed them getting more and more uneasy. Good.

"Well, there you heard it for the first time ever! Melissa on a song with Eminem..." she turned to the audience again, acting blown away. The audience went crazy, while I just flashed my smile.

There I go again, being the center of attention. And the whole time, I didn't even care how the girls felt. I was in the spotlight- everyone loved me, and it was going to stay that way.

The night ended with praise for how far we've come and our strong bond (yeah, right) as a team. Of course, most of the night was about me and my accomplishments, but obviously she couldn't just focus on me.

We left the interview and I said no word to the girls who were staring at me like I was suddenly unrecognizable. They thought they could kick me out?

But how was that possible when there were tons of fans waiting outside to get a picture with me?