Chapter 17

I was sipping my third drink, feeling tipsy enough to get through the rest of the night but not drunk enough to do anything I would regret.

Now that we were in 50 Cent's booth, it was less crowded (which allowed me to breathe) but on the downside it was full of skimpy girls trying to get closer to 50 and his friends. Meanwhile, Tina and I were talking to the guys she had found near the booth, who showed a huge interest in her.  

As they were chatting, my interest was somewhere else. I couldn't get my eyes off Em, even though for some reason he seemed like he couldn't care less about my whereabouts. Two girls wearing practically nothing were giggling beside him, one on each side of him as they were sitting on the couch.

"Isn't that right Mel?" I suddenly heard Tina say as she laughed during conversation with the guys. 

"Sure." I blurted, my eyes still focused on him. Great. I only stayed the night, thinking Em told his friend to back off of me because he was still interested in me. But I guess I had no reason to be upset because I told him I no longer wanted to fool around. Maybe a part of me just wished he wanted something more...

"In case you haven't noticed, there is a really hot guy in front of you who you have been ignoring this whole time." Tina said in my ear. "What is up with you?"

"I guess I'm just not having fun." I admitted. I know- I'm so lame. I hated letting myself get upset over a guy.

"Should we leave?" Tina asked. She was so sweet- even though she was having the time of her life, she still put me first.

At that moment, a familiar song started blasting, which made Tina's mouth drop when she looked at me.

The DJ was playing my song. Buttons. And instantly, my mood flipped upside down.

Everyone around me started cheering, and eyes were suddenly on me. Tina held my hands, dancing to the beat with me as everyone else joined. For a moment, I felt sad that the girls weren't there to enjoy this with me. But that feeling quickly went away, as suddenly I became the centre of attention in the club.

If I wasn't having fun before, that definitely changed when I saw how many people were dancing along to our song. I wondered if Em was watching, but I had given up being tied up on him to care. Instead, I decided to give Tina's new handsome friend a chance.

As the night went on, I finally let go, dancing and enjoying the night with Tina and the guys (who I never got their names). It was a rare feeling for me- letting go. I was usually worried or overthinking about something... but that night, I felt so free. In fact, I let one of the guys (I couldn't tell them apart after taking a few more shots) lift me onto their shoulder as we danced during the night. The Mel two hours ago would have never even considered that.

"Okay, that's it for me." I told Tina, feeling drained. I wasn't as much of a social butterfly as she was, meaning it was time for me to get home to my bed. I didn't let her come with me though, because I knew she wanted to stay. I just said goodbye and went towards the exit, as I was starting to feel dizzy.

Even though I was relatively drunk, I was still able to spot a pair of wicked-looking eyes from a distance. At first I was confused, but let it slide because I didn't want to get into trouble. I was just picturing getting in my comfortable bed.

When I got near the exit, some girl bumped into me hard. "Watch where you're going." She said, like it was my fault.

"Excuse me?" I looked at her close, realizing it was the same girl giving me dirty looks. And it was... the queen herself... Mariah Carey. My mouth dropped open.