Scene 20- The Talk

*Anne's Prov*

The gaze of professor Sinistra makes me feel uncomfortable. The whole situation makes me feel uncomfortable and I play with the hem of my pullover. Out of all people she really wanted me to explain the constellations? It's bad enough we are at the Astronomy Tower, where my thoughts constantly drift to kissing George.

Merlin, I hate the fact that the boy left a mark on me. How did he managed to do that?

Regardless of how he did that, I should have focused nevertheless. With the result that I'm not quite sure if I'm explaining it right. Nervously I look at Sinistra earning an approving and almost encouraging look from her. I struggle with my words a bit, trying my best to keep my composure. I don't want the other people to think I couldn't handle a simple situation like this. When in reality I can't.

My mind starts to clinch onto dark thoughts again while I'm talking, what if they all laugh at you? You see these two talking over there? They probably discuss how little you know about this subject, funny isn't it. Yet it's your best subject and you even suck at this... The voice tries it's best to make it hard for me.

How am I supposed to get along, I lost track of what I was saying, looking at blank faces and irritated looks. Fuck. I know I can do this. I wouldn't have received an O if I didn't know anything. What if I struggled to explain it? I didn't study it like Sinistra and certainly I don't have much experience with talking in front of others, that doesn't mean I suck. I know the stars, just explain what you know. I can do that.

If I had a sickle for every prep talk I gave myself, I would have a lot, but strangely this one works. I look at the sky, not able to look at their faces or empty spaces between them anymore, and point at some stars I see that are needed. I get everything out I know, without looking at anyone, using the stars to help me as if I'm telling this myself and it worked. Honestly, I'm proud of myself when I am allowed to sit back down, getting an impressed look from Sinistra.

Never again though. My heart still hammers in my chest violently and I rub my sweaty palms on my school uniform. I look through the telescope again and write down the constellations I just explained. Watching the stars, I remember how clear the sky was with George up here. Today it's rather hard to make the stars out.

Or make out with someone.

Can I stop that? All I want is to work, nothing more. Luckily the professor dismisses us and we pack our things together. 

"Anne can I talk to you for a minute?," Sinistra pops up beside me. 

"Sure professor," we wait until the other students disappear and are out of earshot: "Is something wrong?" 

"No no my dear," she smiles: "What are your plans for the future?" 

Why is she asking me this?

"I'm not sure, I haven't settled yet," I answer truthfully. 

"Ever considered a career as astronomer? You would have the ability for it," she walks around collecting the maps she gave us at the beginning of the lesson. 

"Yes I thought about that," I say being flustered by her words:" However, would there be enough jobs in the wizarding world?" 

"For someone really good at what they're doing, always. Astronomers and Astrologists are very well liked in the Muggle world as well, I worked for some time for a newspaper there. You literally can tell them everything and they believe it," she puts the maps away: "If you really want to do it, go for it. I have a feeling you would waste your potential everywhere else."

I force myself to a polite smile: "Thank you, professor. I'll think about it." 

"No problem dear, now you better keep going, I don't want to bring you to your common room again, not matter how fun the other activity might be."