Scene 66- The Book

*George's Pov*

I am out of breath the moment I dodge behind a corner and pull out my wand. I swallow, close my eyes tightly and then disaparate. When I open my eyes I am in our store. I turn, letting my eyes muster my surroundings for anything suspicious, then I run up to our office. From the last fight in here it is still a mess, but I can't risk being too long in here. I need to make my trip short. Long enough for me to check if they are still observing our store, short enough for them to actually catch me. It was a close call previously, I need to get back safely without getting the others into trouble as well.

Getting information isn't as easy as it once was in Hogwarts. Lee, Fred and I are working on ways to keep getting real information without getting caught. Currently we are working on new ears, but we lack of material to use. I remember that somewhere in our office we had a prototype we worked on. Maybe I could find it and it will make things easier for us.

I go through the shelves and cabinets until I finally find them. I shove them in my pockets and grab everything that seems useful to me. While doing so, I look out of the window. The streets, once full of colour, excitement and wizards and witches, are now dull, empty and almost forgotten. Every person walking by has its hood pushed over their hair and their head low. With quick steps they are running from a to b. It's strange to see. The weather tears one down additionally. I hear crashing. I take in a deep breath and quickly vanish from this place. For now, it has to be left alone.

When I appear at the lost place my brother and friend decided to work in, I hear cracking noises. Immediately I am at alert. Usually when something like this happens, it doesn't mean anything good. My wand still in my hand I walk to where the sounds are coming. Nothing.

"George?" I feel a hand on my tensed shoulders. I turn around to Anne and look at her face. She seems so small and fragile in this moment, I could wrap her into blankets and hold her tight so nothing would ever happen to her.

"Is everything alright? And please be honest with me."

One hand of hers reaches out to my cheek and I let her caress it. I lean into it and allow myself a moment of weakness. These past few days have been tough and I just want it all to stop. However, I can't just switch off a war and have a good day in between. It just doesn't work that way.

"Come here." She pulls me into a hug and I couldn't be more grateful. I put my head on her shoulder and take in her familiar smell. "Did something happen?"

"They almost got me when I was on my way to the store. I could run away from them and apparate away and they haven't shown up later, but it was close today. I am just worried they are at my heels and then get you and my family."

"All is good okay?", she pulls me closer. "We have the safety spells around here, I haven't seen anybody unless you and we will kick their butts if someone decides to try it."

"How come you are suddenly so calm about it?"

"Well, if anything taught me all of this, it is that too much worrying doesn't help. Trying to focus on the things you can control and the good things in a situation is more powerful than focusing on everything that is not. Latter will bring you down further meanwhile the first can help bring you the strength and motivation to get through. You can only get through the hard part if you take strength in your little accomplishments. And for now, we accomplished to find a separate space, you can invent again and your news work wonders. Even if it doesn't seem like much, it is a step further ahead. Just as you said. Step by step. Let's try focusing on that. If we have to, we take them more slowly before everything gets too much again."

I lean back, stare at her and brush some hair out of her face. The amount of love I have for this girl can't be put into words. I grab her face forcefully and press my lips against hers. I have to make her feel my love instead. She grunts in surprise first but slowly wraps her arms around my neck and steps on her tippy toes to deepen the kiss. The usual warm feeling erupts.