Chapter 22 - The Goddess Texts

For three days the candlelight never dimmed in the basement of the Great library. Darcy and Godwin paged through tome after tome. The two ate nothing more than small meals with little respite in between each day until finally Darcy found what he was looking for.

"Here it is!" He exclaimed as he slammed his hands on the table.

Godwin jolted forward in his chair, drool flying from his mouth as he clung to the table he slammed into.

"What's that? What's happening I say?" Godwin blurted out sleepily.

Darcy didn't pay much attention to Godwin's response as he dove back into the pages in front of him.

Godwin removed his spectacles to wipe away the tired from his eyes.

"Excuse me Master Darcy. I'll put a pot of chamomile tea on for us. To help restore our wits." The old man gave a small bow to Darcy before exiting the room.

"Oh course! By the goddess how could I forget something as specific as this!" Darcy said aloud once more.

A few minutes later Godwin returned with the kettle, a set of cups, and a place to set it all down. He laid the cup next to Darcy and poured him a cup of the hot tea.

"Here you are sir." He said as motioned to the cup.

"Thank you.' Darcy said quickly as he raised the cup to his friend in a thankful gesture and took a sip.

"Mm, that's good tea." He said before returning the text.

Rather than sit and wait for Darcy to return from his literature adventure Godwin decided to clean the archive room up a bit. An hour went by and Godwin excused himself back to the upper level of the library. Deciding it would be good to stretch his legs and get a little sunlight. He knew that when Darcy got like this it could be days before he'd be able to speak with him again. Though, it had been a decade or so since he'd seen his old friend so engrossed over his own research.

He reflected on their past together.

I could've sworn Darcy had committed every text to memory. So why the sudden interest in pouring over old text in the first place? And from the Goddess archive of all places. There's hardly anything relevant in those old tomes anymore. He said he was here because of something that happened to Alex. What could've happened that prompted such a return as this?

Godwin though to himself more and more as he sat out on the terrace on the first floor of the library.

Another day passed and Darcy never emerged from the basement.

Finally, on the fifth day he returned from the basement.

Darcy made his way into the back of the building where Godwin's room was. Here he found the old man cooking in his quarters.

"Godwin, I've found it." He said proudly.

Godwin let out a cough as he dropped his ladle back into the stock pot before him, cleaning off his mustache and beard with a nearby towel.

"Daresay! Master Darcy! Could you please give an old man a fair bit of warning before approaching upon him?" Godwin gently scolded.

"Sorry old friend!" Darcy let out a chuckle and came into the room resting an apologetic hand on his shoulder.

"I've found it." He said again.

"And what pray tell is that?"

Darcy let out a smile, hoping, that Godwin would ask him that.

"Oh bother, here we go again." The old man let out a sigh as he pulled up a chair by the table Darcy had captured.

Darcy laid out the golden tome in front of Godwin and turned to one of its deeper pages.