Chapter 6 - Fated Encounter

Alex started gasping for air. Water launched itself from his mouth on to the ground as he curled up trying to catch his breath. His eyes were murky and not coming into focus. He could feel that he was on dry land again and he started wiping away at his eyes hoping to see again.

"Are you okay?" He heard someone say.

Alex coughed a couple more times. His entire body was wet and the dirt and grass below him were sticking to his hands and clothes.

"Yeah." He coughed as a reply. "I'm okay."

Finally, his vision was returning, and his breathing was starting to steady again. He looked up from the ground and realized that he was in field. The grass blew in the gentle wind and the air was warm. The skies were clear and he could feel the warmth of the sun on his back. He sat up on his knees and took in the surroundings again. Alex, being new to the world outside his home, was captivated, yet again, by the world around him.

He listened for a minute or so just taking in the warmth of the sun and gentle sound of the wind blowing by. Snapping back into reality he realized he had no idea where he was.

"How did I get here?" Alex called out to the voice.

"You escaped the woods, fell into a river, and I fished you out here." The voice replied.

"Oh. I wonder how far I drifted." Alex said.

"Well, seeing that the Sacred Wood is a few days trip by cart, I'd say quite a way." The voice replied.

"A cart?" Alex thought. He had never heard of a cart before.

"What's a cart?" He asked.

"Sheesh. What human doesn't know what a cart is?" The voice replied.

"Human?" Alex said to himself softly.

He turned around to see who he had been speaking to and that's when he saw a small, round, green translucent Slime starring back at him.

Alex let out a scream as he rushed to his feet.

"Y-y-y-you're a-a-a ..." Alex started to say.

"Yes, yes I'm a..." The Slime began.

"MONSTER!" Alex yelled as he started fumbling with this wooden sword. Thankfully the sword was still attached to his hip and after a little tugging it came free.

"Hey! That's rather rude!" The Slime replied angrily. The top of his head began to boil slowly like a pot of water.

"Don't eat me!" Alex cried, sword now readied shakily in his hands.

"Grrr!" The Slime bubbled much more harshly now. "I'll have you know that while I may be what you HUMANS call a monster. I'm not a flippin' monster about it!" The Slime was very frustrated at what Alex was saying.

"Humans?" Alex said again. "I thought you slimes called us "goomans"." He said plainly with little thought for the words he chose.

"In all my time as a Slime I have never been so...Do you live to be offensive!?" The Slime Barked.

"Here I go out of my way to follow you out of the Sacred Wood, jumped off a cliff, chase you down a river, jumping into said river...and by the way do you have any idea how difficult it is for a slime to maintain a physical form IN WATER!?" The Slime shouted.

"Uh no?" Alex replied.

"OF COURSE, YOU DON'T! Here I go out of my way to help you, saving you from death by DROWNING and this is the thanks I get! Offensive, stereotypical, and hurtful comments! Shame on you human, SHAME!" If the Slime could change colors, he'd probably have turned red with fury right about now.