Chapter 14 - The Underground

His heavy eyes began to lift, body stiff, his arms and legs reach out to their limits. It was too dark to see anything around him. He called forth his illumination magic again to shed light on his surroundings. He found himself propped up in the corner of the room he had just crashed in. Looking around droplets of water could be heard echoes in the distance. The stone floor and walls were cool to the touch. Alex could feel the wet dampness of them as he pressed his hand against the ground to rise back his feet. Looking himself over not seeing any scratches of damage done to his body.

"How did I make it out of this one?" He thought aloud.

Alex thought hard for a moment. The last thing he remembered was being thrown from the minecart and crashing into the wall. But he didn't crash anywhere near here. He looked about the room some more. His cart had come from long down the tunnel. He stood high on a landing. Behind him a wooden door was shut. Had he been able to stop the cart he would've used the stairs located on both sides of the room that climbed up to this landing he found himself on. A pair of lanterns were set on the walls opposite of one another, but, they had long since been lit. He turned and looked back at the door. There wasn't much point in staying here any longer and he had no desire to be here should those imps decide to crawl their way through that shaft.

He checked his things and made sure they were all in order, after doing so he grabbed the handle of the door and gave a tug. His hand pulled hard on the cold metal that resisted his grasp. Giving a second pull. The metal hinges let out a loud and piercing screech as he slowly heaved the door open just enough to slide through. Once through he tried to pull the door shut but it the gave such resistance to being closed it was as if the door had decided it had ben closed long enough and no amount of effort exerted by Alex could shut it. Choosing to leave it be, he turned and walked down the hallway. This place was different from the Goblin's Lar. Instead of the entire space being made of stone this was more like what he'd expect a mine to look like. Wooden beams were pressed against the dirt walls to hold up the ceiling. Every 10 feet or so he'd walk through a thick wooden frame that stretched up from the floor to the ceiling. The floors in this area were all made of wood as well, not stone nor dirt. From the ceiling rope hung down with a metal frame basket holding what appeared to be a weathered torch or maybe a heavily used candle. His illumination spell shining light off the frames bounced light across the passage as he continued.

Wow! People must've built and used this place at some point in time. So, there must be a way out. I just need to keep walking. Alex thought to himself as he took in the sites around him. There weren't many but he still found it interesting, nonetheless.

He finally stepped out into a large sized room. Though this looked more cavernous to him. Using his light magic he could see spikey spires hanging down from the ceiling. Looking around the room he could multiple stone like walls that reached from floor to ceiling which created strange natural shapes in between one another. Across the floor was another manmade walkway. Here the ground had returned to rock and stones. Every few feet or so a wooden plank was pressed into the ground to symbolize the direction one should walk. While Alex was partially excited to be exploring such an interesting place, he was also a bit frightened. While the temperature was cool sweat was present on Alex's face. His heart beating fast and hard he made a hard swallow. It was so quiet he felt the entire room could hear his breathing. The realization that he was alone and underground began to slowly wear on his confidence and his comfortability of being down here was starting to fade, especially as he came into such an open area. Feeling the openness of the room the hair on the back of his neck rose up and he started to quietly hum to himself. Alex waved his illumination spell in front of him as he tried to see the details of this space. But there was nothing. Aside from the manmade markers in the ground this entire cave was just a cave.