Chapter 25 - The Queen

As morning came Oliver's eyes opened from their slumber as the sound of his door slammed. A guard came in setting a tray down on the chair, now behind the open door.

"Here's your breakfast monster lover." He growled turning and slamming the door shut again.

Despite the guard's harsh words Oliver couldn't help but think back to his father, Darcy. He remembered lessons and teachings from his younger years. That even when those around you might choose to lash out that you still have a choice in how you are going to behave. He wasn't sure why that popped into his head all of a sudden, but he took it as a sign. He was going to choose to be the same kind person he always was. Even if he was locked in a jail cell for simply being friends with Slime.

"Thanks!"

Hours passed and Oliver could tell it was midday, or sometime around midday anyway. Now that he was awake he noticed the sound of faint foot steps approaching. The slowly grew louder with each step until finally the door unlocked and in came the Captain, Cedric, again.

"Morning lad." His voice boomed in a low tone. His stare turning down to see the boy at the edge of his bed.

"Good morning." He smiled while his legs swung forward and backwards.

"My guards 'ave returned from their investigations."

If Oliver was a cat his ears may have flicked in interest at this comment. Instead, he turned his head to the side.

"Oh?"

Cedric swung the chain from beside the door closer to Oliver's bed. The wood groaned and creaked as the man took a seat. The legs bowed slightly.

"Aye. Turns out most had nothin' to report."

Oliver nodded.

"We really did just pop out into Derelict's shop and then came into to town to look around."

The captain planted his elbow into his knee, leaning forward to rest his bearded chin in against his rest.

"You've mentioned that. You understand why we're suspicous I trust?"

The boy frowned turning his palms up giving the man a shrug as he shook his head.

"Not really."

His eyes widened at this reply. "Are you from here lad?"

"From this city?" He shook his head. "No, this is the first I've ever been here."

"Ah, no, I meant do you hail from these same lands. The Kingdom of Zophia?"

He just shook his head again. Aside from his life with his father, Oliver knew very little of the world, let alone any kingdoms that might inhabit it.

"I'm not sure I guess."

Cedric's brow wrinkled and he narrowed his stare at the boy.

"What do you mean?"

He met the man's gaze as he thought. About his life with Darcy. The hum drum of the warm summers. How his father suddenly left one day and hadn't returned. His trip through the forest and the underground channel.

As Oliver looked at him in thought it occurred to Cedric he may be giving off an unapproachable aura. Creaking came from the chair as the man shifted positions in his seat followed by some grumblings and throat clearing.

"Let's 'ave an easy one. W'at were youse shoppin' for in town?" Cedric placed his hands on his lap waiting for his reply.

"Hmm? Oh, well we were buying supplies for the road. I didn't make it very far before this enchanting scent filled the air. Next thing I knew my nose had brought me to the shop Derelict had mentioned. Saffron's Bakery."