Tension Blooms

(I know I said it was on Hiatus, but I have time right now with my school being shut down because of COVID-19, so updates may come. Just bear with me.)

All of the Avengers, including Helen Cho and Maria Hill stood in Stark and Banner's lab, confused as to all that happened. "All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch." Bruce said, running a hand through his hair.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Natasha stated. (Y/N) sat on a table, biting her lip nervously. "I thought all of those were released to the public when SHIELD went down." She said. "Not all of them." Nat responded. 

"He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodes pointed out. "Nuclear codes." Maria said. Rhodes nodded. "Nuclear weapons codes. Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can." "Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." Natasha asked.

"He didn't say dead. He said extinct." Steve made a point. "He's the kind of guy who would go through anything to get to us." (Y/N) said. "He's a robot. Not a person." Steve retorted. (Y/N) rolled her eyes. "He also said he killed somebody." Clint said, but Maria added on; "But there wasn't anyone else in the building."

"Yes there was." Tony said, bringing up a 3D image of Jarvis' destroyed consciousness. "This is insane." Bruce said, in shock.  "JARVIS was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense." Steve stated. "No, Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy, this is...rage." Bruce replied. Suddenly, Thor grabbed ahold of Tony by his throat and held him up. (Y/N) jumped to her feet, panicked. "Woah, woah, woah! It's going around." Clint spoke up.

"Come on. Use your words, buddy." Tony said to the Norse God. "I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark." Thor said angrily.
"Thor! The Legionnaire." Steve shouted. Thor let go of Tony. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again." 'So that's why he's mad.' (Y/N) thought. "The genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron." Nat said.

"I don't understand. You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?" Dr. Cho asked Tony. He started laughing, and Bruce subtly shook his head at him to get him to stop. "You think this is funny?" Thor bellowed. "No. It's probably not, right? Is this very terrible? Is it so...is it so...it is. It's so terrible." Tony said sarcastically.

"This could've been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand." Thor argued. "No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this." Tony laughed. "Tony, maybe this might not be the time to..." Bruce started. "Really?! That's it? You just roll over, show your belly, every time somebody snarls." He responded.

"Only when I've created a murder bot." Bruce said. (Y/N) held back a snicker. "We didn't. We weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?" Tony asked. "Well, you did something right. And you did it right here. The Avengers were supposed to be different than SHIELD." Steve argued.  "Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" Tony spoke. "No, it's never come up." Rhodes said. "Saved New York?" Rhodes shook his head. "Never heard that."

"Recall that?" Tony spat. "A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing three hundred feet below it. We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the live long day, but, that up there? That's...that's the end game. How were you guys planning on beating that?"

"Together." Steve said. "We'll lose." Tony replied. "Then we'll do that together, too." Tony looked at him for a moment before he turned away. " "Thor's right. Ultron's calling us out. And I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world's a big place. Let's start making it smaller." Steve said.