Chapter 8

Chapter 8

That night, the Gladers decide to have a bonfire since a greenie never came for them to celebrate. Everyone is sitting around the fire and having a good time. You lay by the fire with your head leaning on Newt's lap and your feet resting on Minho. You're filled with a feeling of happiness and peacefulness that you could bask in forever. You feel Newt start to pick up pieces of your hair and you blush slightly. You don't say a word. You just enjoy your closeness and the warmth of the fire.

"Tada." Newt says softly and places your hair over your shoulder in a braid. You reach up to feel the criss-crossed pattern tied together with your cloth bandana. You smile up at Newt and he smiles back and drapes his arm over your side. Everyone is in a state of such peace and comfort with each other's company. But the peace is soon disturbed when the deafening sound of scraping stone rings out in the air. You jerk upright and look around. It couldn't be. The maze doors are sliding open. But it's night time! Everyone scrambles to their feet and desperately looks to Alby for instruction.

"Okay everyone, stay calm. No need to panic. Let's just calmly make our way to the Homestead and turn in. That goes for all of you." Alby orders. Everyone reluctantly shuffles towards the Homestead.

"Keepers! Come with me." he turns and walks to the Council Hall. You look between Newt and Minho who were walking with you. They both give you apologetic looks and turn to follow Alby. Just then, clicks and whirs echo from the direction of the maze, followed by a petrified scream. You whip around and your sisterly instincts kick in, as you recognize the scream to be Chuck. You remember he went off to get more firewood a little while ago. Everyone stops dead in their tracks and faces the maze. You instinctively take off in a dead sprint towards the sound of the scream. You're not going to let anything happen to Chuck. You can hear multiple people shouting after you but you pay them no attention and press on. Chuck continues to scream and you almost start to cry. He's too young. You have to find him. You finally come to the edge of the woods near the west maze entrance. There you see Chuck running for his life in the opposite direction. He runs straight into you and you catch him and start to quickly pull him back to the group.

"Chuck! What is it?!" you ask through heavy breaths. You look Chuck in the face and see the utter terror in his expression.

"Grievers." he squeaks, "They're here."

Your eyes widen and you look behind you to where Chuck had come from. Clicking and shrieking sound through the previously silent night. You pick up your pace and pull Chuck along, trying as hard as you can to get him back to safety. Voices shout your name and sound nearer with every step. You finally see through the darkness that all the Keepers, Newt, and Alby are jogging towards you.

"I'm here! I have Chuck!" you call out.

"Flora!" one of them shouts urgently. You can tell that it's Newt. The group approaches you and you try to usher them in the other direction.

"You can't run off like that!" Alby scolds you. "I gave specific instruct-"

"Alby! No time for a lecture!" you cut him off and try to catch your breath. "There's Grievers in the Glade. We have to go now!" you push Chuck ahead of you and continue running back to the Homestead. The group stands for a moment but turns and runs after you. You finally reach the Homestead and everyone piles in.

"There are Grievers in the Glade!" Alby's voice booms over everyone else. "Nobody leaves this building and everyone stick together!"

You find Newt among the crowd and grip onto his arm. You share a worried look just as the sounds of mechanical clicks edge closer to the building. Just then, a shrill ringing pierces the air and a sharp metal arm shoots through the wall. Everyone screams and scatters as the arm flails and tries to grasp onto anything it can find. Multiple other arms crash through the walls in every direction, sending a panic through the room. Everyone presses together in the center of the room as far away from the walls as possible. A painful shout comes from behind you and you turn to see Gally being yanked through the wall by one of the arms. You feel a pang in your heart. Gally has made it clear multiple times that he absolutely hates your guts. He's even hurt you before. But at that moment you can't just watch him being ripped away by Grievers. Against your better judgement and Newt's hand on your arm, you run to Gally and grab tightly onto his arm and pull as hard as you can. He hollers in agony as the sharp metal digs through his skin. Soon, Newt is at your side, followed by Minho and Alby, all of you struggling to pull Gally out of the Griever's grasp.