Chapter Thirty Nine

Wakanda, 2018, seconds later

The world flashes white before slowly coming into focus. The gauntlet was now scorched and burned from the power of the stones. The world was quiet, as if nothing had changed.

"What'd you do?" Thor asked before screaming in anger. "What'd you do?"

Thanos nearly seems to not notice Thor before he uses one of the stone and teleports away, leaving Stormbreaker behind on the ground.

"Where'd he go? Thor... Alex... where'd he go?" Steve asked as he stumbled into the clearing. Alex shook her head, clueless as to what happened.

"Steve?" Bucky questioned as he walked into the clearing. Bucky suddenly stumbles over, and collapses into ashes. Shocked, Steve walks over and touches the ground where Bucky's ashes evaporated disbelievingly.

Alex, Steve, and Thor all shared confused looks as Wanda slowly starts turning into ash from her spot beside Vision. Alex felt a tug at her heart as she heard Rhodey screaming for Sam. The tug grew stronger as someone stumbled into the clearing.

"AJ?" Bailey stumbled and tripped, falling towards the ground. "AJ, what's happening?"

"Bailey!" Alex screamed as she ran for the girl. "No, no, no. Bailey."

"I'm scared, AJ?" Bailey whispered as she looked up at the woman who had taken her in.

"Hey, its going to by okay. It's-it's going to be okay." Alex felt the tear building up in her eyes as the tug on her heart grew stronger, more painful. "Your going to be okay."

Alex felt herself tearing in half as she watched Bailey slowly turn into ash. She grasped at the girl she had come to love, trying to keep her from fading. Alex felt tears rolling down her face as she watched and felt Bailey disappear.

"I- I love you, AJ." Bailey whispered before she finally faded to complete ash. Alex grasped the ground before her has she felt the tug at her heart break free. Tears rolled down her face as she closed her eyes.

She continued to sob even as Natasha came to take the natural blonde in her arms. The two women sat there, Natasha trying her best to comfort her love. Alex grasped at Natasha suit trying to find anything tangible to hold onto.

"What is this? What the hell is happening?" Alex barely heard Rhodey ask.

"Oh, God." Was Steve's only answer after a long pause. Once Alex's tear had finally run out she glanced up at the woman holding her. She grabbed her face trying to decide if she was real or not.

"I'm here." Natasha assures as she grabbed one of Alex's hands. "I'm here."

"He took Bailey." Alex barely whispered.

"I know." Natasha said as she stroked the girls matted hair.

*****

Alex glanced out the window of her room that she shared with Natasha. Her thoughts were clouded with memories of Bailey. Happy ones, angry ones, every memory she shared with Bailey was floating through her mind.

*****

"AJ!" Bailey yelled through the house. "Did you get macaroni?"

"No, I forgot." Alex yelled back as she walked out from her bedroom.

"You expect me to believe that an ex-assassin forgot to get the one thing that I asked for?" Bailey questioned the blonde with a raised eyebrow. Alex shrugged at the girl and gave her a innocent smile.

*****

"So, how does it work?" Alex asked as she looked at the controller in her hands.