Chapter Eighteen

Washington D.C., 2014, seconds later

"Done. And it's trending," Alex heard Natasha say as she materialized in the room. Alex quickly grabbed her gun and pointed it at Pierce when the Council members dropped dead.

"Unless you want a two-inch hole in your sternum, I'd put that gun down. That was armed the moment you pinned it on," Pierce said with his finger over the trigger.

The three reluctantly lowered their guns. Fury and Natasha shared a knowing look before Natasha looked at Alex. Alex knew the look in her eye better than anyone, she had a look of giving up.

"Lieutenant, how much longer," Pierce asked into a radio from his spot at the computer.

"Sixty-five seconds to satellite link. Targeting grid engaged. Lowering weapons array now," A voice spoke back.

"One minute." She heard Maria warn. "30 seconds, Cap!"

"Stand by. Charlie-" Steve was cut off by a gunshot.

"We are go to targets," Pierce said into the radio. She heard someone start counting down from three before Steve spoke up.

"Charlie locked," The man over the radio then starts asking where the targets went while trying to get them back.

"Okay, Cap, get out of there," Maria said as she moved on to their final part of the plan.

"Fire now," Steve insisted.

"But, Steve-"

"Do it! Do it now!" It was silent for a moment before three explosions went off.

"What a waste," Pierce muttered looking out at the helicarriers.

"Are you still on the fence about Rogers' chances," Natasha questioned.

"Time to go, Councilwoman. This way, come on. You're gonna fly me out of here," Pierce said pointing his gun at Natasha.

"You know, there was a time I would have taken a bullet for you," Fury called after them.

"You already did. You will again when it's useful," Pierce said as Natasha walked in front of him. Suddenly, Natasha's body shakes as an electric surge goes through her, disabling the pin in the process. Alex rushes to Natasha's side as Fury takes the chance to shoot Pierce.

"Hey, come one. Wake up. Wake up, Nat," Alex said as she lightly tapped the girl's face.

"Romanoff! Natasha! Natasha, come on," Fury said kneeling on the other side of her. The redhead slowly opens her eyes, looking at the two people above her.

"Ow. Those really do sting." Alex helped the girl up, not removing her arm from around her waist until they got to the helicopter. Fury flew the helicopter as Natasha changed into her suit and Alex watched the explosions.

"Please, tell me you got that chopper in the air," Sam yelled as one of the helicarriers crashed into the building.

"Sam, where are you," Natasha asked.

"41st floor, north-west corner!"

"We're on it, stay where you are," Alex informed.

"Not an option," He screamed back as he jumped out of the window. Fury tilts the chopper on its side and Alex reaches out to grab Sam's hand.

"41st floor! 41st," Sam yelled when the chopper was straight again.

"It's not like they put the floor numbers on the outside of the building," Fury yelled back.

"Hill, where's Steve? You got a location on Rogers," Natasha frantically asked.

*****

"Right. Left. Right. Right," Alex commanded as Bailey punched the punching bag. They had been doing the same set for about five minutes when Alex's phone rang. "Take a break. Hello?"

"3214, East tenth street. Apartment 5C. Dress casual. 8 p.m. sharp," The voice spoke before hanging up. Alex removed the phone from her ear before looking at Bailey.

"What," The girl asked as she put her gloves back on.

"Uh, training is over for today. You can stay if you want but I have to leave. I won't be home until late, so order in," Alex instructed as she walked towards her bag.

"Where are you going," Bailey asked as her eyes followed Alex.

"Uh, a friend's house. Don't stay out too late," She said as she exited the training room.

"I'm young, not stupid," Bailey muttered to herself before punching the bag again. "She's been doing this for the past week. She acts like I don't know she going to see Natasha. If anything, she's only fooling herself when she lies about where she's going. I'm talking to myself, I need to stop."

It was silent for a minute, the only sound being the rhythmic punches from Bailey. The punches slowly down as a thought came to her mind. She could call Alex and possibly get screamed at or she could just look for herself. She quickly ran over to her phone before dialing Alex's number. When she heard Alex pick up she didn't waste a second before asking her question.

"Do we have macaroni at home?"

Alex will return in Avengers: Age of Ultron