Chapter Seven

New York, 2012, two days later.

It was now or never. Her time was up. She had to do it today. She had no choice. Not really. Kill Steve and live or don't and spend the rest of her life running from the man who practically owned her. Knowing him, the rest of her life wouldn't be that long if she went with the second option.

Alex had tried her hardest to occupy her day with other things to push her mission to the last possible minute. She had worked until lunch and gone grocery shopping for food she wouldn't need by tomorrow. Now she was in the kitchen of her apartment, putting the food away very slowly.

Bailey danced in front of the stove to a song only she could hear, trying her best to lighten the mood. She could sense the dark, gloomy mood that Alex tried to cover so hard. Every so often the brunette teen would let a small melody of a song before going silent again.

The text chime from her phone cause the blonde to pause her movements. Alex lowered the cereal boxes back to the counter before moving to her phone. Her steps were slow and quiet. She dreaded the contents of the message.

Время тикает. (Time is ticking.)

She could picture the sinister smile on his face as the day came to an end. Today was the day he would finally get what he wanted. Today was the day that Captain America would die. That was if she succeeded.

Alex let out a deep sigh, placing her phone back on the table with a flat face. She needed to disconnect herself from her emotions. She needed to lock the door and pave over it. She needed layers and layers of brick and concrete to cover the door if she wanted to have a chance at completing her mission. Her back was straighter. Her face was emotionless. Her eyes were cold and lifeless. His perfect weapon. His favorite toy.

"You alright?" The question caused Alex to whip her head towards the voice. The teen stood between the two rooms with a bowl in her hands.

Alex nodded. "I'm fine." Her voice sounded different. It wasn't the normal pitch that was filled with small slivers of joy and freedom. It sounded like it had been imprisoned and had finally given up on escaping. It sounded hopeless and dead.

"You sure? You don't sou-" Alex stopped her mid-sentence.

"I said I was fine."

The voice came off cold and bit at the toes of the teen. The brunette backed further into the kitchen, nodding as the blonde disappeared into her room.

A few minutes later, Alex reappeared dressed in the outfit that He had given her to wear. To blend in with the crowd of people along the street she wore a pair of black ripped jeans, a white form-fitting shirt, and a jacket to cover the gun tucked at her hip. Her black duffle bag was secured tightly in her fist as she moved to exit the apartment.

Her mind was clear. She was focused. There was only one thing on her mind and that was her mission. Kill Captain America. Kill Steve Rogers. Kill Captain America. Kill-

"Be careful."

Be careful. Be careful. Kill Captain America. Be careful. Kill Steve Rogers. Be careful. Be careful.

"What?" Her movements paused as she registered the words. Her free hand gripped the doorknob.

Bailey seemed hesitant to repeat herself. Her heart quickened in pace as she spoke, "be careful?"

The words were not supposed to have much effect but Alex couldn't help the warm feeling that spread through her heart. While the girl got on Alex's nerve, she had somehow made a crack in the older girl's walls. No matter how many times the blonde repatched the cracks, they would always reappear. She had made Alex more human than a killing machine.