Chapter Twenty Nine

Lagos, Nigeria, 2016, around lunch

Alex and Natasha were sitting at a small table in a cafe across from a police station. Wanda was seated across the cafe with a hat on her head to hide her face. Alex gave the girl a quick glance before looking at the redhead who had let her hair grow out to lay below her shoulders. She gave the girl a nervous smile as she leaned her forearms on the table.

"Nervous about the mission," Natasha asked as she noticed the look on the girl's face.

"Never," Alex answered before she looked around the building debating on whether to ask her what was on her mind. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did," Natasha joked with a laugh but quickly stopped when she saw the seriousness on the girl's face. "Yeah, uh, what is it?"

"Hypothetically speaking. If I were, I don't know, going to ask you a question that would maybe change our lives forever, would you want me to ask it?" The girl fiddled with the ring that was on her pointer finger as she avoided the redhead's gaze.

"What question, Alex," Natasha asked as she put her hands over Alex's, stopping them.

"Would you want to marry me?" Alex dropped the bomb that had been on her mind for a while. She noticed the look of shock on Natasha's face before continuing. "Not now, of course. Now would be a terrible time to ask but in the future. Maybe? If you don't want that right now, I can wait. I was just-"

"Alex. I would love to marry you someday. Maybe when this is all over." Natasha said cutting the girl off from her rant. The smile on Alex's face grew when Natasha said that but dropped when she remembered they were supposed to be working.

"All right, what do you see," Steve asked, directing the question at Wanda who was in training.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target," She answered through the earpiece as she brought her cup to her lips.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means-" Steve questioned again.

"Cameras," Wanda answered cutting him off.

"Both cross streets are one way."

"So, compromised escape routes." The Sokovian girl was getting better and her accent was slowly fading away.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block," Steve's voice asked through the earpiece. Alex turned her head slightly to glance at the car but didn't see much.

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute," Wanda stated taking a sip of her drink.

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us," Natasha stated sitting up in her chair, pushing her sunglasses up her nose.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right," Wanda reminds.

"So can I but looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," Alex stated as she looked in the direction of Natasha's turned head.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid," Sam asked through the earpiece.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something," Alex joked back with a small smirk.

"Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him," Steve ordered to get the two back on track.

"If he sees us coming that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us," Sam answered.