Chapter Twelve

Washington D.C., 2014, the next day

"Gum," Natasha asked as she walked back into the break room that the girls were using to wait for Steve.

"Uh, sure," Alex accepted, taking a piece from the pink wrapper. She put the gum in her mouth and started to chew.

The two waited in silence for Steve to arrive back at the vending machine. When they saw Steve pass, Natasha quietly exited and went to stand behind Steve. When Steve saw the reflection of the red he turned around and pushed her into the room and against the wall. Alex made a move to get Steve off the woman but stopped when Natasha held up her hand a little. Steve still hadn't noticed Alex so she backed off.

"Where is it," Steve asked, taking his hood off.

"Safe," Natasha quickly replied.

"Do better," Steve said when he didn't get the answer he liked.

"Where did you get it," Natasha asked, turning the questioning around on Steve.

The tall blond pushed her further into the wall. "Why would I tell you?"

"Fury gave it to you. Why," Natasha questioned as a look of realization passed through her eyes.

"What's on it," Steve deflected the question.

"I don't know," Natasha admitted.

"Stop lying," Steve insisted.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Natasha answered.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you," Steve questioned again. Alex was really itching to get Steve off of the redhead but she knew it wasn't her place.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you," Natasha answered after a few seconds.

"I'm not going to ask you again," Steve said as he further pushed Natasha against the wall.

"I know who killed Fury," Alex stayed before Steve or Natasha could go any further. She was tired of seeing the redhead pushed against the wall. Steve softened his hold on Natasha before turning to face Alex. "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier."

"He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the past 50 years," Natasha continued.

"So, he's a ghost story," Steve asked looking between the two girls.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me," Natasha paused to pull up her shirt to show Steve the scar on the side of her stomach. "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now," Steve shot back and Alex gave a little snicker.

"Going after him is a dead end," Alex started walking toward Steve. She dug in her pocket before pulling out the flash drive. "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

"Well, let's find out what the ghost wants," Steve said taking the flash drive.

The three quickly walked out of the hospital, Steve with his hood up and a couple of paces behind the girls so he didn't get noticed. Alex quickly flagged down a taxi and got into the front seat while Natasha and Steve got in the back. Alex did a quick search for cameras before pulling out her gun and pointing it at the man.

"To the nearest mall. Quickly please," Alex instructed with the nicest voice she could manage. The man nodded quickly before driving off. When they arrived at the mall, they all got out. Alex put her gun away and walked towards the entrance as she heard Steve apologize to the man before following.