Chapter One - 1989

Malachai Parker was always an odd kid

Malachai Parker was always an odd kid. He was good looking, funny, but odd. He didn't have a lot of friends in high school. I remember watching him at lunch break sat alone every day. He never seemed bothered though. He always had his headphones on and music on his Walkman. He sometimes even seemed happy to just be alone. That didn't stop me from trying to become friends with him though. I guess I just never liked to see people lonely. Unfortunately with Kai it wasn't that straightforward. He didn't want to be alone, but he had to be.

—————————————————————————

It was a spring morning in 1989 when I first saw him. I was heading into school in jean shorts and my favourite Nirvana shirt on. I was a high school junior, about to become a senior in a few months time. I guess I was a fairly popular kid. People liked me and I wasn't like most of the popular kids either. I was nice.
My house was a short walk from school, so I never bothered catching the bus. I enjoyed the walk, especially at this time of year. I popped my headphones on and turned my Walkman up full blast, soaking in the sunshine and bopping my head to some Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I was far to engrossed in what I was listening to, I walked head on into someone. As I crashed into them I fell backwards but felt a hand grab onto my wrist before I hit the ground. As I looked up I was faced with the most handsome boy I had ever seen. He was tall with dark hair and the most amazing grey-blue eyes. I started to apologise but he cut me off suddenly. "Just watch where you're going okay." He huffed, turning to walk away. And that was my first encounter with Kai Parker. But it definitely wouldn't be my last.

——————————————————————————

A few days had passed since I literally bumped into Kai. I'd spent those few days trying to find out a bit more about him but came up pretty empty handed. All I knew was that he was new to my school and he was in the same grade as me. No one knew anything more about him. I even tried to find some info through my friend Amy who often helped as a student receptionist but she drew a blank too. It was at that point I knew I HAD to know this mysterious boy. It would now be my goal to befriend him and find out more about him. Little did I know, making friends with a boy like Kai wouldn't be easy.

That lunch time I saw him again, sat alone in the canteen, eating a sandwich and listening to music the same as he did every day. That was it! Music! That was one thing we clearly had in common. If I could talk to him about music, surely that would open up the conversation and we could get to know each other? I grabbed my tray and headed towards where he was sat. I plonked myself on the bench opposite him and smiled. He didn't move. He looked down at the table, music still blasting out, picking at his sandwich.
"Hi! I'm Mia! What are you listening to?" I asked. Nothing. I waited a few seconds to see if he'd actually noticed me. Nope.
"Hello? I just thought I'd come over and say hi as you're sat her on your own. I hope you don't mind. I..."
He looked up at her and slowly took his headphones off giving her a confused look.
"What?" He asked, a frown on his face. He clearly hadn't hear a word I had said
"I said I'm Mia. I just wanted to come and introduce myself."
"Why?" He grunted, taking a mouthful of sandwich. So rude. But I persisted.
"I just wondered what music you were listening to?" I quirked, still with a smile on my face. Oldest trick in the book. No one could resist my cute smile.
"Why?" He repeated. Wow. I really wasn't getting anywhere for the first time in like, ever.
"I just thought it would be nice to get to know you. You seem a bit lonely."
"I'm not lonely. I like being alone." He huffed, looking back down at the table.
"Well, I just thought maybe we could get to know each other? Maybe be friends?" I smiled sweetly again. I wasn't giving up. No way.
He lifted his head up and studied me for a few seconds, a scowl on his face.
"Aren't you the clutz who walked into me the other morning?" He questioned. My face started to glow. I'd never been made to feel like such an idiot before.
"Yeah. I thought so. Maybe focus more on what you're doing than what other people are doing." He grunted, standing from his seat. He picked his tray up, and walked off without a word. I sat there in stunned silence, unsure of what had just happened. That was definitely a first for me!

I was still sat there for a few seconds when my friend Amy perched herself on the bench next to me.
"Hey. How'd it go with the new boy?" She asked, taking a small bite from an apple and smiling at me.
I blinked a few times, shaking my head slowly. I was so confused by the interaction I just had. I didn't even have the words.
"Mia? Did something happen? You look upset?" She asked me, a worried look on her face.
"He completely blew me off Amy. I mean... he was so rude!" I squeaked at my best friend.
"Oh! That's weird... did you say something to piss him off?"
"Not at all." I replied "I just introduced myself and suggested we could be friends."
"And...?" Amy asked me.
"And I'm pretty sure his response was a no in not so few words." I picked at the food on my plate in front of me, not sure what to make of Kai Parker. Any normal person would give up and let him be, but not me. I could see deep down he was a lost soul. He just needed someone to find him.

—————————————————————————

Three weeks later

I had attempted numerous times to speak to Kai again since our conversation at the lunch table, but it was so far unsuccessful.  I'd say hi to him and he would just grunt. I was sat in front of him in biology and tried to turn to talk to him and he just completely blanked me. I was starting to feel like a bit of a stalker to be honest.
Now we were sat in our History class and assignments were being handed out. Our teacher, Mr Drew has explained that it would be a partnered assignment and he would be choosing the pairs. I looked hopefully over at Amy, wondering if he would be kind enough to pair the two of us up. No such luck.

Mr Drew was stood at the front of the class reading off names from his list. My ears perked up when I heard my name - "Mia Michaels and...." Please be Amy. Please be Amy. "Malachai Parker."
"Kai. It's Kai." I heard a grunt from a couple of tables across. He didn't look at me at all. Just carried on looking down at the notepad he was scribbling in. I wondered what he was doodling... I glanced over at Amy who raised her eyebrows. Sure, this was the perfect way to get to know Kai, but if he didn't want to get to know me, it could quite possibly be the worst couple of weeks ever.

After history, the class emptied out into the hall. I hovered around for a bit, waiting for Kai to step out. When he did, I jumped in front of him before he could run off. "Hi!" I smiled brightly. He sighed and rolled his eyes. Yet again, so rude!
"What do you want?" He grunted at me, shrugging his back pack further into his shoulder, glaring at me with contempt. I couldn't understand what I'd done to deserve this treatment. All I ever tried to do was be nice to him and all he did in return was be mean and make me feel small.
"I just thought it would be a good idea to maybe arrange something so we can talk about the assignment? Maybe coffee after school let's out?" I asked hopefully.
He groaned. My face started to flush from embarrassment again. Why was he like this. No one was ever like this with me.
"Sure. Whatever. Where?"
My face lit up. Finally! I have him a quick smile and told him where to meet me. He grunted in response and walked off down the hallway, putting his headphones on as he did.
I was finally going to get to know Kai. All that hard work had paid off. So why was I so damn nervous?!