Chapter 5: Robert's POV

I kept looking at her.

"What?" She asked.

"I uh," I stuttered, "how much pain are you in?"

"Well considering what happened, not mu-" I cut her off, giving her a soft kiss.

"W-what was that?" She asked, surprised.

"Andy. I need to talk." I responded.

"Go on."

"Well. I'm sorry about what happened. I should've never pushed you away. You're the best thing that's happened in.. a while." I continued.

I didn't know what I was doing. This would surely affect our work, but if Luke can do it, I can too. I loved her more than I'd ever love anyone before. Well, besides Claire. Claire was my first love, I thought she would be my only love. But she would want me to be happy and Andy makes me happy. She makes me feel different than Claire though. Without Andy, well.. I'd probably die. I needed to tell her about my problem.

"Uhh.. Andy, so you remember my leg injury?"

"Yeah..?"

"Well.. it wasn't just a one time injury. I have a chronic condition Andy."

"What? What is it called?"

"Complex Regional Pain Syndrome."

She went silent. I could tell she was thinking. Probably blaming herself. She had no reason to blame herself. I shouldn't have told her. I need to protect her.

"Have y-you known about this since the accident?" She finally said.

"Yes. I got diagnosed with it in the hospital after the accident."

"Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell the Chief?"

I stood there quiet, just looking at her.

"Oh," She said finally, "the promotion."

She continued, "Everything is about that damn promotion with you. I don't know why you're even telling me this."

"Andy, listen. It wasn't the promotion. That's not what happened between you and me. I- I love you. I used the promotion to cover up my leg because I wasn't ready to tell you yet. But now, I told you about the leg. Andy, my life is terrible without you. I need help, and you're the only person that can help me."

"What do you need help with?" She said after a long pause.

"Well, I'm in trouble, I'm only thinking about the pain and nothing else. I did something bad, I stole something, illegal."

"What?! What did you steal? You know, this could mess up your promotion."

"I know, I stole fentanyl. I took two viles from Warren's truck."

"What?!" She said, her sympathy turning into anger, "Do you know how addictive that stuff is, not to mention, illegal. Robert, you could get really hurt o-or in trouble."

"That's why I'm coming to you Andy, something did happen. I took too much and.. I saw him."

"Saw who?"

"I saw Lucas. He was there with Vic. He told me that Claire would want me to be happy. He also said if i kept going at this rate I would be dead."

She just sat there, staring at me. I couldn't tell if she was angry or sad or both, then a tear streamed down her face.

"I've already lost my best friend this year, I can't loose you too." She finally said.

"You won't loose me. I'm going to stop, I'm getting help with Dr. Amelia Shepherd. I'm going to get better, for you."

"I just.. I can't do this right now. I can't deal with this. I can't deal with the person I love, the person I'm in love with putting themselves in danger. I'm sorry, I know you needed my help. For now get help with Dr. Shepherd. I just need to think."

I just stood there looking at her, she was so flustered and I felt bad for putting this on her, especially when she was in a hospital bed.

"Look Andy, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pile too much stuff on. I know it's overwhelming."

"Just, just go, please. I need to think." She said, not even looking at me.

When I left her room Dr. Shepherd was passing by.

"Hey Robert! Are you going to be there tonight?" She said, smiling at me.

"Wouldn't miss it!" I acted enthusiastic even though my heart was just deflated.

I will get better. I will get better for Andy.