Chapter 3: Andy's POV

I couldn't feel anything for awhile, after that moment with Maya. I opened my eyes briefly, but pain consumed my entire body causing me to black out again. For awhile the whole world went silent. My mind was blank. I wasn't in pain. It was like a nap.

I woke up to voices,

"Helm, do you want to present."

"Welcome back Ms. Herrera!" Helm said with a smile, "Andy Herrera, 31, one day post thoracotomy, vitals stable, expected to recover fully within 8 weeks."

8 weeks? 8 weeks? I would be so behind. H-how. No. I can't miss 8 weeks of work. I'll get replaced. T-they replace me.

"N-no" I said, my voice coming out shallow and quiet.

"What was that Ms. Herrera?"

"I, I can't miss 8 weeks."

"You woke up sooner than we expected, which means your body took the surgery better than we expected. You're a fighter, Andy" Dr. Grey said with a smile.

"Do you think I'll be able to return to work in less then 8 weeks?" I said, realizing my throat hurt a little bit, but it was probably just from the intubation.

"I think with you, anything is possible." Dr. Grey responded.

Suddenly Maya burst through the door, crying.

"You scared me so much Andy." She said through tears, "Please never almost die again."

I saw Travis standing in the doorway, there was a glimmer in his eyes. I could tell he was tearing up.

"Andy. I'm so glad you're ok. When I heard you over the radio, m-my heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach. The aid car ride with you was Hell on Earth. I was looking over you, trying to keep one of my good friends alive. Do you know how hard it is to work on a 'patient' when that 'patient' is your friend? Please never scare me like that again." Travis whispered, holding back tears.

I felt bad for scaring everyone. I was just trying to do what was right. When I heard the baby- the baby! Was the baby ok? I had totally forgotten about it until this moment.

"I-is the ba-" I choked out, before Maya cut me off.

"The baby is fine, with minor smoke inhalation, Warren got the baby. Your alert ears helped save someone, Andy."

I smiled, knowing I didn't put my life in danger for nothing made me happy I did it.

I realized Sullivan was standing by the door. Maya was still sitting on my bed so I tilted my head towards the door hoping she was understand.

"Oh," Maya whispered, "I'll leave you two alone."

"Thank you." I mouthed.

Sullivan walked over, sitting down on my bed. He stared into my eyes. I could see the pain. I felt bad for putting him through this.

"Hi." He finally said, his voice cracking."

"Hey."

"Never do that to me again." He said.

"I'm sorry."

"You made me fall in love with you and then almost died. You made me care about you so much I couldn't breathe when Bishop contacted me."

I looked into his eyes, I could see the pain.

"Look, I'm sorry Robert. I thought it was the right thing to do."

"Andy.. don't be sorry for doing your job. I'm just glad you survived because I-" Sullivan said, not being able to finish his sentence before his voice cracked, he was crying again. "I couldn't loose another woman I loved."