Alice snorted. "Good at everything? Why would you think that?"

"Why?" she echoed, chuckling. "Well, because you're a Travers, obviously. It's in your genes."

Alice's smile slipped and she glanced away. "Right. Obviously. I guess I just missed out on the 'good at legal studies' gene."

Heather laughed nasally and nudged Alice with her elbow. "Come on, Alice. You'll do great. Nothing to worry about."

Alice met her eyes and felt a smile pull at her lips. "Thanks. You will too. It's just these stupid case studies."

Heather paused, then swung her backpack over her shoulder. She grabbed a booklet, stapled in the corner, and pressed it into Alice's hands.

"Here," she said.

Alice blinked, looking down at the pages. They were printed notes filled with case studies, written in brief dot points—much better organised than Alice's were.

"We've still got ten minutes before the actual start time," Heather said.

Alice stared speechlessly at her. She wished she'd asked Heather for these notes weeks ago, but she was right. They had ten minutes left, and she wouldn't waste them.

"Thanks, Heather," she said, and then filled the booklet open, beginning to read through the pages. Heather turned back to her phone, and ten minutes later, right on cue, she heard the voices of teachers approaching through the thick wooden doors.

Alice's heart leapt into her throat and she turned to Heather with a panicked look.

Beside them, the door creaked open, and Alice could hear the shuffling shoes of their Headmaster. She quickly took Heather's hand into hers and squeezed it.

"Good luck," she whispered. "Let's get this over and done with, shall we?"

Heather nodded, squeezing back. "Good luck."

The pair turned to the entrance where their Headmaster was grumbling about the rain. He paused, papers clutched in his hands, and looked about at the students watching him. He cleared his throat, nodding.

"Alright," he said, stepping aside. "Everyone inside now."

***

Alice sighed, stretching her arms high above her head. Beside her, Emily was giggling, sipping from a steaming takeaway cup of hot chocolate.

The best part about trials was having no classes for the rest of the day when your exams were finished. It had become a sort of tradition at Sierra Grammar for students to hang out in the newer library on the edge of campus during this time.

Unlike the old library, this one had been decked out with beanbags and a hot chocolate machine. And since every other student was in class, the remaining Year Twelves were able to be as loud and disruptive as possible.

"I'm just so glad it's all over," Alice said, grinning, sinking deeper into her beanbag.

"Right?" Emily agreed. "Good riddance, trials! Now all we have left are the actual HSC exams. But before that..."

"Oh, don't get me started," Alice teased, rolling her eyes. Emily leaned forward to slap Alice's knee.

"Shut up, Alice! The Debutante will be fun!" she exclaimed. "I mean, think about it. Cute boys? Cakes? Champagne? It's going to be great."

Alice smiled politely and nodded, although she felt tired just thinking about it. She'd rather curl up on her bed the entire night. Maybe sleep in past sunrise for once.