Signs of spring, signs of storm (part two)

Start from the beginning

Matilda looked at Ferry, "Let's get out of here," she said, giving him her handkerchief to cover his face from which a drop of white blood began to fall. "I'll send Dad to get our bikes." He snuck among the crowd of looky-loos and headed for Matilda's house.

In her bright, cool room, Matilda cared for his wound with a tincture prepared by Rosemary. There were a few fine scratches on his cheek and upper lip. They were both on their knees, face to face, in front of the window, so that Matilda could take care of his wound better. Through the open window, the wind brought fragrances of lilies-of-the-valley and hyacinth from the flower beds under the girl's window. It was nice and Ferry didn't feel the pain anymore. Matilda's soft fingers which walked smoothly along the scratches brought pleasant tingles to his face and throughout his entire body.

"Don't move," said the girl, frowned. "It might hurt a little."

"It doesn't hurt at all," said Ferry, caressed by her soft touch.

Matilda carefully and longly cleaned every scratch. When she reached the one on his upper lip, her finger trembled slightly, staying a second too long as if she wanted to feel his lips with her fingertips.

Ferry felt a funny warmth slowly coming over him. The same one he felt in May's presence, and yet somehow different. Ferry searched for her eyes, but the girl bit her lip and looked away. He gently touched her hand that was still resting on his cheek. He felt his heart racing and his breathing speeding up. Matilda looked up at him, and Ferry moved closer. Her breath smelled like milk and cookies as usual. And he loved milk and cookies. He didn't know what he was doing anymore, moving even closer to her like in a dream. Their foreheads were touching now. He slowly rubbed his face against her smooth cheek and then... Then, the door suddenly opened and Finn barged into the room.

Matilda jumped to her feet, "Finn, how many times have I told you to knock?" she scolded him. Finn looked at Matilda first, then at Ferry, and suddenly he was all smiles as if the most genius idea came to his head. He got out of the room singing, Feiyy an' Maaatt sitting in a teee ...

Ferry also got up and headed for the window, to catch some air. He felt dizzy. Maybe from the events of the day, maybe from the closeness between him and Matilda.

She gave him the small bottle with Rosemary's tincture, "Keep that," she said, avoiding to look at him. "Put on some more tonight and it should pas by tomorrow morning. And try to stay away from that girl. Don't you see she's mad and wild?"

"But she's not," Ferry protested. "Last time I visited, she was warm and she even talked to me. She looked like a completely different person. She seemed scared, for some reason. And she asked me to help her. I think she's in trouble, Matt."

Matilda shook her head, "You can't save everyone, Ferry," she softly said.

Outside, it was getting dark. The wind had softened, filling the curtain and invading the room. The papers on the working table next to the window scattered on the floor. Ferry rushed to gather them. Among them, he found a Spring Fling flyer. He showed it to Matilda.

"Will you go?" he wondered. He knew she didn't like anything it had to do with dancing or dresses.

"I don't know ..." Matilda shrugged. "It seems like everyone at school is talking about it. Poor Steph, she has already made her dress. Rebecca told me she has tried it dozens of times. Of course, Ben didn't invite her. He told her he didn't like these things ... Boys are so stupid sometimes."

"What about you?" Has anyone... invited you?" Ferry wondered.

Matilda frowned, "Why wouldn't anyone invite me? Is it really that hard to believe?" she said in a harsh tone.