Chapter 26. Twist

Start from the beginning

"How did you even get involved in all this?"

"Ironically enough it was through Jenna. I was lookin' to make some easy money and she said her brother used to work for your brother. None of the business goes on in Apple Wine, it's far to close to the plantation and the town is too small. Garden Springs is quite a bit bigger, but we take all the tobacco to the city to be sold, naturally."

"What city?"

"Several in fact. Your brother has markets in quite a few of the bigger cities all throughout Tennessee. He makes quite a bit of money at the expense of his father. And since all of this is illegal he doesn't pay tax on any of it. I can't tell you anything about how or where it is sold in the city. I was only used to transport the tobacco from here to there."

"And why did my brother decide to put you in jail?"

Seth's eyes darkened as he shrugged. "Naturally your father notices the tobacco going missing so every so often Black, Jackson Goodwill that is, has someone put in prison to keep up appearances. He's got all the evidence after all. I guess this time I was the unlucky one. You know," Seth leaned back in his seat. "I actually had no idea that I was workin' for yer brother. Like I said, I only knew him by the name of Black. Even yer foreman goes by a different name. I only found out he was yer father's foreman when he came to testify against me in court. But when yer father came up with that scheme of his, I suppose yer brother got so scared he decided to come and threaten me personally, and that was how I discovered who it was I had really been workin' for."

"Hmmm," Washington mused aloud. "Jackson probably thought that if you gave Wenthworth's name it would in the end come back to him, so the fool panicked and ran off to give himself away. Well, his plan almost worked, you certainly would have kept your mouth shut till yer dying day if Jenna hadn't decided to take pity on you. Right, well, thank you for your information. I've got to go now. Everything has been put in a completely different light."

"So when do I go free?" Seth stated as Washington rose from his chair.

"When I've got all the facts settled," Washington coolly replied. He called the jailer to take Seth away. He was going to talk to his younger brother.

Jackson had a lot of explaining to do.

***

It was obvious that Jackson was trying to keep a completely nonchalant look on his face.

"Washington Goodwill, whatever put that idea into your head?"

Washington narrowed his eyes. "The cat is out of the bag, Jackson, there is no point in hiding it. Just come out with the truth already."

"But who told you such things?"

"Several people in fact."

"Seth is just trying too..."

"Oh, Seth was the last person I heard it from," Washington cut him off. "I only went to him when I had all the facts. You see, Jackson, you forget that I am also a shrewd man. I knew that Seth was very close with a certain Jenna Callaway. She's a saloon girl. I had hoped she could get the information out of him, but it turned out she didn't need to as she was the one who got him the job in the first place."

"My brother!" Jackson rolled his eyes indignantly. "You are going to believe a whore and a convict over me."

"Well, I have reason too," Washington retorted. "You see, I know that saloon well, just like I know Jenna well. And I also know for a fact that I was not the only Goodwill brother who enjoyed yer services. I took a photograph of you this morning and went over to the saloon and the owner identified you as a man named Black, who often comes over there. I heard you were quite popular with Jenna until Seth came along and swept her off her feet. Not like you cared, you know as well as I do that you never love a whore. I have to say one thing, Jackson, you need to learn to work more undercover. Changing your name doesn't do the trick anymore. We have entered into an age with photographs, and you've got to change your looks as well before you go to public places."