Chapter 12: Montello High

"There's no way that I'm watching an annoying pest voluntarily and whole-heartedly!"

I already knew she was going to protest my proposal. But I didn't think there was anyone else that I could trust with this mission.

"It's not like you're going to do this for the rest of your life." I pushed but she still looked like she'd rather eat worms than heed my request.

"If given a chance, I'd willingly rather be her killer and now you want me to watch her? Do I look like some guardian angel?" Naiinis na tanong ni Forest.

I had decided that I couldn't do this mission during the day. I had duties at Arturia University. My dad was not always at the school. Being Director Dresmond Arturia was not very easy kung kaya't tinutulungan ko sya sa pamamahala ng eskuwelahan. Kailangan kong mapanatili ang kaayusan nito habang inaasikaso niya ang ibang mga bagay. He was the other side of the Freniere Mafia. He was the one handling all the legal assets and connections of the underground organization.

Which was why I needed Forest for this. Getting permission from the mafia leaders to get Forest as back-up should be easy enough since—like Tres said—Summer Leondale was pretty important to the mafia now. So I had to use a different type of persuasion.

"Tell me what you want and I will give it to you." Agad na nagbago ang ekspresyon ng mukha ni Forest sa sinabi ko. She looked like a child who discovered Santa was coming on Christmas.

"Anything?" Nakangiti niyang tanong. I tried to read if there was anything malicious in her smile but I got nothing. She looked innocently harmless enough, which I knew all too well wasn't true.

"Anything," pagkumpirma ko.

"Well, build a chapel inside Montello High," sagot niya. Kumunot ang noo ko. I was not honestly sure what to expect but this request? Talk about oddball.

"A chapel in a place full of gangsters?" I repeated. She was probably just messing with me. "You're going to send the priest that's going to be assigned at that school in hell instead."

"The point is, I want a place I can use while watching our subject," sagot niya. Huh? What was up with this girl and churches? She liked being ferried to old churches and now she wanted to build a new one? But I didn't say any of that to her.

"It will take time to build it."

Nagkibit lang sya ng balikat. "It's okay," aniya.

I didn't really get what's going on with her mind pero pumayag ako sa gusto niya at sa huli ay nakumbinsi ko rin sya na tulungan ako sa aking misyon. I was still not happy with this mission even though the mafia had stressed how important this mission was.

And maybe I understand the mafia. They could never lose another woman important to the Freniere again. They already lost enough and they shouldn't take chances. Nasaksihan ko kung gaano tila nanghina ang mga Freniere noong nawala si Alexandria. At naramdaman ko rin ang bigat niyon.