Chapter 18: The Dangerous Man

"I loathe traitors."

His words brought a burning and biting coldness at the back of my neck. I felt all the hairs on my skin stand, matching the sudden fast beating of my heart.

"I understand. I loathe traitors, too," Forest said grinning. Tiningnan ko siya at mukhang interesado siya sa susunod na sasabihin ni Sebastian. Abot tenga ang ngiti na inilibot niya ang kanyang paningin sa mga reapers na nasa paligid. "I loathe-traitors," muli niyang sabi at saka ibinalik ang tingin sa itaas ng hagdan. She received deadly glares from some reapers in the room but it seemed that she didn't mind it.

"Another fucking sabotaged transaction. Congratulations, Freniere Mafia! I am so proud of us!" Sebastian said smiling smugly. Everyone in the room knew the danger behind the curve on his lips. "What's actually puzzling is that all the transaction details are confidential. It's just between us and the client. And I really do hope that this glitch is on the client's part."

I felt secretly relieved as I assessed the situation. He doesn't know yet. However, the realization of having a possible traitor in the room hit me. I tried really hard not to do what Forest just did a while ago. I caught her smirking at me as I gritted my teeth.

"You are curious about the traitor. I understand," she said grinning. Hindi ko siya pinansin at sa halip ay itinuon ko na lang aking atensyon sa grupo na nasa itaas ng hagdan.

"You are all here to receive a warning. Yes, all of you. You, my beloved reapers are valuable to the mafia. Let's see what would happen if you burn your value into nothing," Sebastian continued darkly. The room became silent as he eyed everyone. I felt the coldness of his stare as our eyes met. I tried to stop myself from taking my eyes away from him. He might see how I betrayed the Mafia. But before I could blink, his eyes landed to Forest who was actually looking back from me to Sebastian. She was watching us stare at each other. When Tres held her eyes, she frowned.

"Ugh. Staring is rude."

Sebastian stepped away from the group when he finished his short 'death threat' speech. Mikhail explained to us that Algernon Freniere would have to leave and supervise other establishments under the Mafia that were based in other countries. Thus, Giovanni Freniere was standing in front of us to act as leader of the Mafia. I could see that he was not yet fully recovered but he was on his fastest way of improvement. He gave a Black Notebook Clearing Mission to most of the Reapers. I wondered who the unlucky person was and why I was not included in the mission. Forest and Maximus Brown would just hang around the mansion to protect the Mafia Leaders.

"I'll definitely miss the Nightwoods," sarkastikong sabi ni Forest. Nagkibit-balikat lang ako dahil alam kong maiintindihan ni Maximus Brown kung hihiramin ko si Forest. I had to admit that I could use help from Forest sometimes. And aside from that, she was letting me use her.

Some of the reapers started to leave after few minutes. They became one with the darkness. And soon, I would be just like them. Forest was already waiting for me in the car. I sighed. She didn't even ask me if I would take her. It was starting to feel like I was her personal driver. I was about to walk towards her when a person called my name. I looked back and saw Giovanni walking towards me. I waited for him. He probably changed his mind and would let me join the Black Notebook Clearing Mission.