Chapter 14: Speedster

This girl.

She just couldn't keep still and it was slowly driving me crazy. Hindi siya mapakili habang nakaupo sa passenger seat at nakatanaw sa labas ng kotse. She was wearing short cotton shorts and a loose sweatshirt. Subalit isa ito sa mga malalamig na gabi. Hindi ko alam kung ang nararamdaman niya pa ang ginawa sanhi ng kanyang pagkabalisa. I decided to focus on the road instead.

"I know you can drive faster. Can't you just do it?" Naiinip niyang tanong sa akin.

That was a question. A question that sounded like an impatient demand.

"This is not an emergency," sagot ko. Ligtas na sa anumang panganib ang buhay ni Giovanni Freniere. I didn't think there was a need to hurry.

"Well, for me it is!" Pagtataas niyang boses.

I looked at her darkly and said, "You shouldn't raise your voice at a Mafia Reaper." She stayed silent for a little while before speaking. Again.

"I need to see him. I need to talk to him. We haven't talked for a very long time now." At least this time, her voice was lower. Napailing ako.

"What's so hard in saying you missed him?" Tanong ko. Napatulala siya sa akin at akmang ibubuka ang bibig subalit hindi naman magawang ituloy ang sasabihin. Matapos ang ilang pagtatangkang sumagot ay ipinasya niyang tumingin na lang muli sa labas at manahimik. Akala ko'y magkakaroon na kami sa wakas ng tahimik na biyahe tungo sa ospital nang muli siyang magsalita.

"You'd do everything for that man-whore jerk, right?" Tanong niya. I frowned at her and decided to keep silent. "I saw it in your eyes. Itinutok mo sa akin ang baril mo dahil lang inatake ko sya. Alam kong hindi ka mag-aalinlangang patayin ako kung sinaktan ko siya."

I kept ignoring her, silently wishing she stops. But she kept going.

"But he's a monster, Henrietta Arturia. It must be painful to love a monster like him."

"Stop. Talking." Wika ko.

"It's not like I am sincerely concerned about you. Pero ang tulad ni Tres ay isang bangungot."

I glared at her. Why wouldn't she shut up? "You have no idea what you are talking about." Nagbabanta kong sabi. We should not even be having conversations like this.

"I think I understand now. They way you act around him? That used to puzzle me. But you should not be protecting someone like him. He's not worthy of any shit you give about him," patuloy niya.

"And you think you do? You think you deserve all the things you are getting now?" I couldn't mask the sarcasm in my tone as I asked her that. Napanganga lang sya sa akin na tila hindi niya alam ang sagot sa tanong ko kung kaya't nagpatuloy ako. "All of this protection, the second life? Saving you? Even the love you are feeling right now! Do you think you deserve it?"