Chapter 24: Chasing the Dead Man

Soundtrack: Hurt – Johnny Cash

"Where the hell are you taking me?" Pasigaw na tanong ng babae sa passenger's seat. Kalahating minuto na rin ang nakalipas mula nang halos paliparin ko ang kotse. My mind was wandering on the possible places my bait could be in right now.

If he left, his reason might be the extreme fear of being caught. Or maybe, he was just exactly the traitor he was and he probably thought that this was the best time to escape. And I guess that would not leave me any choice but to kill him instantly. Well, maybe I had to use him first and then finish him off.

But if he was taken, everything I planned would collapse eventually. I was supposed to be the one controlling the situation using my bait. I shouldn't be the one being controlled.

"This is getting annoying already. Just drop me and I'll get a cab," wika niyang muli.

"You can't be on your own. You have no capacity to protect yourself," sagot ko. She rolled her eyes.

We reached the territory of the Arturia and I watched her mouth hang open as we stopped in front of the Arturia Mansion.

"Whoa! Do all Reapers live in a mansion?" She mouthed. Did she know how ridiculous her assumption is? Itinigil ko ang kotse subalit hindi ako bumaba. Pinagmasdan ko lang ang mansion mula sa labas ng malaking tarangkahan. Ganoon rin ang ginawa ni Summer Leondale. Bakas ang paghanga sa kanyang mukha habang tahimik na tinitingnan ang aking tahanan.

"Well?" Agaw ko sa kanyang atensyon.

She blinked and awkwardly turned to my direction as if she was doing it involuntarily. When she recovered from the spell brought to her by the Arturia Mansion, she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, this one looks better than that creepy mansion but it could never beat the bewitching atmosphere of the Freniere Mansion."

"Because this is home for me and it wasn't made to bewitch anyone," sagot ko. The guards opened the gate probably noticing my car. Subalit hindi ko iyon pinaandar upang pumasok. Ethan Montreal would never go this way. That was if he tried to escape. But if someone had taken him, they wouldn't go this way either. We have guards in the front gate and I didn't think these people are the type of the ones who would make a scene. So there was only one way for them to go in and out of Arturia Mansion without bringing a chaos. Muli kong pinaandar ang kotse at sa halip na pumasok ng mansion iniatras ko ito pabalik ng kalsada.

"Aren't we going in?" Summer asked but quickly got it back by biting her lips. She seemed to be in awe with the mansion. I was not too selfish not to invite her inside but now was not the perfect time for it.

I sped up when I reached the main road towards the way that would connect to the back territory of the mansion. Alam kong doon lang maaaring dumaan palabas ng mansion si Ethan. If he was just escaping on foot, then he shouldn't get too far. But if he was taken and they were using a car, that would somehow complicate things.