Chapter 31: A Little Heart

Soundtrack: Heartache – One OK Rock

I should be looking for him. I should make sure that Eremitia was safe enough for him. I should be staying near him. So what was I doing in this bed curled up like a fragile ball under the sheet? I couldn't move. I couldn't eat. I couldn't think. I was paralyzed with all the things rallying inside my chest.

Can I just rip my heart out and make it all better?

And it was once again morning. After the unfortunate event yesterday, I was left staring at the darkness until I was greeted by the heat of the sunlight. I didn't bother going outside the room. I didn't bother sleeping nor had the appetite for food. For some very rare moments of my life, I was left vulnerable and without direction. I was incapacitated by my thoughts and emotions tearing me apart.

Napapikit ako sa liwanag na dulot ng maluwang na pagkakabukas ng bintana. Matapos iyon ay naramdaman ko ang pag-upo ng isang tao sa gilid ng aking kama.

"Plano mo bang mabulok sa kwartong ito?" Tinig ni Summer. I thought she was just oversleeping on the other bed.

Tumalikod ako sa kanya at humarap sa kabilang direksyon. But she seemed to take the situation lightly and lie beside me. Gumalaw-galaw pa siya na tila pinakikiramdaman ang aking kama. "You're bed is softer and more comfortable," aniya.

Alam kong sinasabi niya lang iyon upang magsimula ng konbersasyon. Why would Vinea put different beds in the same room? And I checked it when we got here; the beds were just the same. Itinulak ko siya palayo subalit mas lumapit pa siya sa hinihigaan ko. I knew my gun was just under my pillow and I could shoot her in an instant. But I didn't feel like moving today. I was not in the mood to kill anyone. I wished she would just stop and give up. Subalit mukhang wala siyang balak tumigil dahil idinantay niya pa ang isa niyang binti sa aking bewang. Agad ko iyong inalis at saka padabog na umupo sa kama.

"What do you want?" Masama ang tingin na ipinukol ko sa kanya.

"I need money," seryoso niyang sagot.

What? All this pestering was just for money? Couldn't she be considerate?

"It's in the drawer. Leave me alone." At saka ako bumalik sa pagkakahiga.

"Damn! How can you stay here all day without eating?" Tumayo siya at saka binuksan ang drawer. "I know it's just in the drawer. But I wouldn't risk being shot because of stealing. Anyway, there are clubs that are open during the day. I'll go there and spend all these money."

Hindi ako sumagot. Why did she keep on talking about money? And why would I care?

"Ethan is with Detective Penber. They're drinking liquors for breakfast. I know those bad guys are up to something terrible! That stinky mad man might be using your bait." She continued talking when I didn't make a move. I grabbed a pillow and covered my head with it to muffle her voice. But she sat again on the bed and talked just in front of my face. "And Jazarah was seducing our drunken Sebastian since yesterday. That little shit would probably get what she wants if she put something in his drinks. Damn! Can't you see how fragile and weak our Tres is?" She said theatrically.