Chapter 50- the Stubborn and Determined

"I don't understand," Aidan complains, marching next to Jack as they ascend the flight of stairs to his apartment.

For the past hour, Jack has been giving Aidan curt answers as to why he will be staying at his place tonight.

Aidan, being the curious child that he is, did not lighten up and has continued to pester him about the situation since the whole car ride home.

When Jack went to pick his son up, he tried his best to pretend everything was alright. When Anna answered the door, he had to plaster a friendly smile and apologize for taking so long. He told her that Elsa wasn't feeling well so he was told to pick up Aidan.

He had the vague feeling that she suspected something but thought better of it. If he knew Anna––and he's pretty sure he does––he knows she would have asked a hundred question regarding her sister. The only thing that kept her from asking him was her nephew. Asking Jack too many questions would lead to unease for Aidan and neither of them want that.

But of course, Aidan had his own set of questions regarding his mom. And he hasn't stopped asking.

For the millionth time, Jack tries his best to clarify the situation. "I told you, son. Mom is feeling a little sick and so you're staying with me tonight. Just to give her some space."

Aidan pushes. "She seemed fine this morning."

Jack looks down at him as they finally reach their hall, the door just around the corner.

Aidan has to practically jog just to keep up with Jack's every stride. It was actually adorable.

What wasn't adorable were the million questions.

Finally...Finally, they reach the door. It was unlocked when Jack turns the knob. He gestures Aidan inside first and then proceeds inside.

Hiccup pops his head out of the kitchen and opens his mouth, no doubt to ask how it went with Elsa. But Jack puts his fingers to his lips and casts a pointed look at Aidan who has seated himself on the couch, entertained by a cartoon that plays in the background.

Jack unslings Aidan's backpack and his small suitcase that Jack filled with his son's belongings. "Before you get too comfortable put away your things in my room, okay?"

Without a word, Aidan gets up from his seat and does as told.

When Aidan disappears out of the living room, Jack turns to Hiccup.

"You look awful," was the first thing Hiccup says.

"Thanks, buddy."

Hiccup glances at the direction Aidan went and turns back to Jack. "So what happened?"

And so Jack gave him a brief rundown on what happened. Quietly. He wouldn't be surprised if Aidan is hiding behind the corner and eavesdropping. So Jack makes sure to speak low.

At the end of the brief explanation, Hiccup had no words. He listened to Jack intently, looking more solemn with each minute.

"Is Elsa alright? What's going to happen next?"

That's the thing. He has no idea. It all depends on how Elsa wants to approach the dilemma.

"We'll do whatever Elsa wants," Jack whispers.

Aidan skips back into the living room in his pjs, giving Jack a side look, daring him to continue the conversation him and Hiccup were so obviously having.

Jack squints at Aidan and nods back towards the hall. "Alright, let's get you into bed Aidan. It's already late."

"It's only eight o'clock," Aidan complains. Again.